[email protected]

Well Known Member
I have gone through two cold seasons trying to stop the cold air coming from the cheap eye ball vents and I finally found the way to do it. Works perfectly!!! Went to Lowes aircraft supply and bought two “1 ½ inch test plugs” $2.79 each, They are the type of plug you insert into a pipe and turn the fly nut to tighten. a rubber seal expands and they stay put until you want to remove them. Fits perfect and I can not detect any air coming in. How simple and cheap.

I have an air diverter on my Van's supplied vents.
It comes nearly to the edge of the eyeball vent
and wouldn't let anything to be plugged in there.
The only thing I have had any luck with is a foam
plug.

Tom

I wil try and get a pic this weekend

If you just ask for a 1 1/2 inch test plug at lowes they will show you where they are. Was up last weekend and they work great!!!!

LOL

Yeah your right about them working great, but...

My wife came up with that idea a couple of years ago and we've been using them in the winter. They do work great but be ready because one day you will be cruising along on a flight and as you relax and let your mind drift a bit, "WHAMMO." The dumb thing will shoot out of the vent and hit you in the gut. This will scare the livin you know what out of you. To prevent this make a tether or you will be reporting back with how you were frightened by this while your passenger which in my case was my wife laughs herself into stomach cramps.

Edit- For those who haven't tried the bathtub stoppers they only fit the vent really well with the vent fully open. If the vent is closed the little finger tab will not let the stopper get deep enough into the eyeball to stay. For this reason the pressure will sometimes get the better of the plug and shoot it at you. After this happens once though it doesn't have quite the shock value.
Best,

Last edited:
Snap on

Turned mine from 1/2" poly
img0602seg5.jpg

Frank:

Your solution to the problem of Van's leaky air vents looks good.

I'm not sure by what you mean "turned them from 1/2 poly" Could you explain that?

Thanks,

Paul

we just stuff some foam in the NACA duct ... stops all the cold.

:)

I'll do ya one better! Loosen the hose clamp on the back of the vent. Take off the hose. Take one plastic baggie, cut out a 3"x3" piece of the baggie. Place the platic over the back of the vent, then put the hose & clamp back on. This stops ALL LEAKING!! And the best thing is that if for some reason in flight you need some fresh air, you take your pen or pencil and poke it into the opened vent a couple times and the air will start flowing again. Of course you will later have to replace the plastic you just poked holes in. As for me, it better be a life or death emergency to poke the holes, as it is just too darn cold here in Minnesota to mess with any air coming into the cabin that it not super-heated!!

Travis

The best solution is to not use those toy vents from Van's.

These gasper vents were gift from a friend:

They came out of a turboprop that was being scrapped and don't leak at all.

Now to figure out how to keep the cold air from entering the flap rod hole. Any suggestions on that?

Nylon boot

Why not make a nylon boot like they do for the aileron tubes in the wings? This may not be air proof but should slow the air down some.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV-9A N942WG flying
RV-9A N942PT wiring and paint prep stage

Why not make a nylon boot like they do for the aileron tubes in the wings? This may not be air proof but should slow the air down some.

Pat Garboden
Ozark, MO
RV-9A N942WG flying
RV-9A N942PT wiring and paint prep stage
Pat,

We are working on that but the problem is the 90 degree angel in the skin and how close the flap rod is to the side skin.

Still tinkering and I will post my solution when and if I get one.

The best solution is to not use those toy vents from Van's.

These gasper vents were gift from a friend:

They came out of a turboprop that was being scrapped and don't leak at all.

Now to figure out how to keep the cold air from entering the flap rod hole. Any suggestions on that?

Unfortunately when it is -14f outside, you will find that almost all these vents leak. Even a very little leak will feel REALLY cold on your legs.

Travis

Unfortunately when it is -14f outside, you will find that almost all these vents leak. Even a very little leak will feel REALLY cold on your legs.

Travis
Travis,

That is true but if we see -14 in Charlotte then we will be heading South so we won't have to deal with it for very long. ;)