RobertD

Well Known Member
I've been flying my -6A for a few years now, and have never really addressed the issue of what to do with "stuff" in the cockpit. I generally just shove charts, plates, checklist, whatever into the space between the seats. Kinda works, but not really, and not good for miscellaneous loose things like spare batteries, etc.
I've seen some armrest storage units that look ok, but when I start designing one it seems it has to be mighty slim to fit between the seats.
I've recently been eyeing the space on the floor between the spar and the battery box. My -6A doesn't have the center console (uses a small subpanel for engine controls), so this would seem to be a good spot.
Has anyone mounted some sort of storage box in this space? It would have to be fixed to the floor but also easily removable for the inevitable trips under the panel.
I figured before I start serious cogitating on this I'd ask what y'all might have already done.
TIA

.......never really addressed the issue of what to do with "stuff" in the cockpit........TIA
In one way or another, this general technique has been done before. My quickly removable variation includes .025 aluminum attached to the structure with 4 screws and nutplates. Just to be different, I added "RV-6A" lightening holes as an afterthought. Using the space, I stow all manner of items including a rudder stop, the pitot tube cover and cloth pouch containing the 3 tie down rings.

28s8qw9.jpg

Bison Mountain RV Flight Bag

i have a black bison mountain rv flight bag that is fitted custom for rv side by sides that is very nice. sold by classic aero designs, acs, and direct from bison mountain.

screenshot20100403at952.png

Rick, are those storage slots accessible to you in flight? I'm wondering if you can reach the one behind the passenger seat. The one behind the pilot I would imagine is out of reach.

I have been wrestling with this question as well. I have the flightline interiors side pockets just forward of the F604 bulkhead, but they are limited in what they will hold without interfering with the rudder cables. In retrospect, I would put a similar slot like you have between the F604 and F603 (2?) bulkheads as I have seen on various builder sites. Sam Buchanon did it as I recall.

The behind the seat bag posted earlier is really nice for storing things, but I need something that will organize the cockpit and make things accessible while on the go.

Stationery Tidy :)

I mounted a couple of cheap plastic stationery tidies from Staples with velcro - one in the left rear above the flap cover and one on the side wall just in front of the F-604 bulkhead

stowagerear.jpg

Jim Sharkey
RV-6 Phase 1

Rick, are those storage slots accessible to you in flight?.......
Jeff,

On occasion, I have (while in flight) loosened my seat/shoulder harness so I can reach over and access a chart stowed behind the passenger seat. For that reason, I learned to routinely keep the charts stowed on the starboard side.

We've been thinking about this same topic recently. I'm interested in what people have done too. Our cockpit management could be better... We use a bison bag behind one of the seats and a bison bag in the center forward floor.

Metal front pockets for sectionals. Bottom is folded. Top lip folded over and slight angle out. The sides are bent with tabs that push the pocket out about 1/4", . Bison bag behind the seat, and storage straps that hold down a fabric type tool box.

P.S. -- Never used a knee board before, but found that I actually am liking one in a tight RV side by side of all places. I'ts a folding three piece, fabric covered. Sectional and a list of airports that I copied from a flight guide to one sheet of paper. Wife doesn't have to thumb through the flight guide anymore.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Last edited:
a forward center floor solution. . .

. . . is what I was really thinking of. The bag on the floor would certainly work, but I'd really like some sort of storage that could be positively attached so it wouldn't move around or turn over in turbulence and possibly let stuff get under the rudder pedals.
I'm thinking about riveting tabs to the floor ribs that would stick up through the carpet, and constructing a box that would attach with screws to the tabs.
just wanted to know if anyone had done or seen anything like that.

You could make a very nice console that sat between your fuel selector (and/or manual trim knob) and the battery box. It would be out of the way, within reach, and could hold your maps, flight guide, and maybe even incorporate a water bottle holder. Not sure how practical that idea is, I haven't tried it yet. But i'm constantly looking at that space and wondering how to use it better.

Another good place would be under your knees, along the front of the spar. It's easily tall enough to put folded maps in on their sides.