mike newall

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Waiting for the deck bucking assistant, I looked at the canopy rail that screws onto the turtledeck.

Couple of questions.

Why do Vans spec 3/32 and 1/8th" for the holes when neither fit the rivet or screw ?

When you position the rail on the deck, I presume you need to temporarily place the plastic receiver block and butt the rail against it as you drill it ?

I then guess that the rail comes off to fit the receiver block.

I have seen warnings about the level of drilling the slide block to the frame.

Any other tips or photo references appreciated - the instructions are rather thin.

Mike, trying to understand what you are saying but if it helps I just did this. The center canopy rail did not need the block inside the receiving hole. The screw holes are #27 for the 6-32 screws. I found the instructions for this area very difficult to follow because the drawing the written instructions refer to doesn't give all the information needed. Once attached, the rail does not need to come off again unless for painting. The receiving block fit right in and is aligned using the canopy frame in later steps.

Mike

I just finished this step on my 8. I did put the block in place to do this. I also put a radius on the front lower edge of the block, this helps to be able to remove the block without a struggle. I did leave just enough space in between the rail and block to be able to remove the block. #27 for the screws is correct as mentioned. After I had everything mounted and was happy with it, I did remove the rail and polished it on my buffer to a real smooth nice shine. I made sure the rivets and screws were perfectly flush so there was no chance of catching. Have a look at my kitlog, addy below, I have some pics there that may help. Hope this helps.

bird