RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
A short preface to why I'm posing this kind-of-a-survey question...

Flying with a buddy last weekend, all set to go shoot a couple of ILS's to check out the coupled approach capability of the Skyview, on climbout almost immediately after leaving the runway, the 430W slides out about 3/4", thus rendering it unusable (no problem, just switched to the #2 and went flying anyway...have to do those approaches next time). Because of the way the locking mechanism/cam works, it wouldn't come out all the way, which was good, but it wouldn't go back in, either, without the hex driver available.

So, into the front pocket by my left leg goes the hex driver for the radios. That brings the items (now in a little pouch) that are *immediately* accessible in-flight to: flashlight, batteries for the headset, hex driver, screen wipes, pulse oximeter, collapsible IFR hood, and (clipped to the pocket) a CO monitor.

What do you guys carry that you can get to in flight should the need arise (yes, the puke sacks are available on the passenger side!).

Well, since you asked... Travel John(tm) juuuust in case especially on cross countries (doubles as a good no-leak puke sack). Also spare ignition keys, two ballpoint pens.

Two flashlights plus a headlamp with both red and white lighting are always within arm's reach, as is a spare headset. Just wait for the day when you are flying solo and your boom mic craps out in controlled airspace - you'll want that headset available. The cell phone is also within reach. Most importantly, my survival equipment is within arm's reach - always on top of the pile of baggage rather than under the baggage. Often there is little time to exit the aircraft in an emergency - you want that survival gear accessible.