lr172

Well Known Member
I am installing an Archer VOR antenna in the wing tip of my 6A. I have a wiring conduit that houses nav, strobe (12v feed only; box mounted in wing tip) landing light wiring. Can I run the coax in this conduit without degrading reception/performance or do I need to come up with alternate routing?

Thanks,

Larry

I am installing an Archer VOR antenna in the wing tip of my 6A. I have a wiring conduit that houses nav, strobe (12v feed only; box mounted in wing tip) landing light wiring. Can I run the coax in this conduit without degrading reception/performance or do I need to come up with alternate routing?

Thanks,

Larry

I would say depends!

How much power are your other sources like the landing light going to draw. I have had a similar setup and when I upgraded my landing light to a system with higher draw, I could see an effect on my Nav reception. I have since replaced the LL wire with a shielded wire and now have zero effect on Nav or noise in the radio. Also, I would suggest a higher qulaity coax cable like the RG400.

If you use RG-400 and are just running power for the lights, you should be ok. Also, as Bavafa said, it would possibly degrade performance if there is high amperage wiring with it, but I have never seen problems with standard lights, pitot heat and shielded strobe bundles b

In principle high current DC devices (like a conventional landing light) should not generate any RF interference. You need to worry about strobe power supplies, LED and HID power supplies, "leaking" RF back down their power lines.
So the answer is "it depends". That being said, my wiring is not in a conduit but is bundled together in most places; I have RG400 to the Archer, shielding wiring carry the high voltage pulses out to the strobe, unshielded wires for conventional (incandescent) nav light and HID (power supply at wing tip rib) landing light. This all works with no interference, except a slight increase in background on the radio when the HID is warming up, about 5 seconds.

Archer Nav, Rg400, aeroleds, duckworks HIDs, Garmin AP servo.... All wiring in same conduit, works fine.

I dwelled on this one myself for awhile during the build, turned out to be a non issue. Build on. If it doesn't work, change it!

Thanks for the replies. Here is what will be bundled with the coax. All unshielded:

Incandescent LL 100 watts
Incandescent Nav Lights 50 watts
12V feed to strobe PS (power supply is in wing tip and the line to strobe
lamp will not be bundled w/ coax) 45 watts

I have already purchased RG-58 cable for this run. Do you think this work or will I need RG-400? Wings are closed up, so not sure yet how I would run separate.

I have considered an LED LL, but could probably leave incandescent in the wing with the antenna.

You need to worry about strobe power supplies, LED and HID power supplies, "leaking" RF back down their power lines.

Do I need to worry about the Strobe PS leaking RF back down the 12VDC feed or only out from the PS to the lamp? In my case, the coax would only be running along side the 12VDC input line to the Strobe PS.

Larry