mikemalone

How long a cable would I need from an aerial in the fibreglass wingtip of an RV7 to the back of the instrument panel (including a bit of slack).

I'm not sure for the 7, but on my 9, from the wingtip to the fuselage just about 11'. I would guess another 4' would be enough. Give yourself an extra foot or two so you can practice making the connection correctly.

Measure it yourself.

Half the wingspan to get to the center tunnel. Distance from spar to firewall. Height of firewall. Distance from firewall to back of radio. Add a couple of feet. Order.

I just did this a week or two ago in my 7. I ordered 22ft just to be safe an had about 4-5ft left over. I ran it from the antenna in the tip and passed through the center section as soon as it entered the fuselage and then ran it up the sidewall to behind the panel. If you're planning to go to the center tunnel as another guy said I might order a little more.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I suppose if I wasn't half-way around the world away from my project, without plans, I could measure it myself.

The "measure it yourself" comment was not intended to be rude since the method to do so was described as an instructional aid. The original post appeared to need it.

Since you are prevented from measuring yourself, and are buying for only one single wire run, I would order not less than 24 feet.

12.5 feet from tip to center, 4 feet from spar to firewall, 3 feet up firewall, 3 feet to radio. Add something for insurance. That will provide enough for any route through the cabin that does not take unnecessary circuitous paths. You will have some left over, but it is better than the alternative.