:eek:

Thats what we will all be looking to buy if gas prices don't chill out! Very nice #'s... avg 2.87gph!

Maybe a RV-12 with an o-200? That would be the ticket, or an RV-9, but that would be pushing it a bit, too light in the nose most likely.

It just shows...

....what can be done with aerodynamics. This is one of the best examples in a long, long time that shows that it really ain't about horsepower. 200 cu. in. and a cross-this-big-land-trip. nonstop in 9 something hours?? Fantastic, really.

Put an 0-200 in a -12, clean it up with pants, leg fairings and such....I think we'd be surprised. I'm planning to do just that.

Regards,

AWESOME

Now the real question is why can't we get engines like this from Lycoming and Continental! The answer is they think pilots are too dumb to operate an engine with such complex leaning and timing requirements I guess. (they may be right unfortunately)

Any idea what the BSFC (I think thats the acronym) for this engine was with this setup?

How much power was he making? Was it all aerodynamics that made this possible or was he making decent power too?

....what can be done with aerodynamics. This is one of the best examples in a long, long time that shows that it really ain't about horsepower. 200 cu. in. and a cross-this-big-land-trip. nonstop in 9 something hours?? Fantastic, really.

Put an 0-200 in a -12, clean it up with pants, leg fairings and such....I think we'd be surprised. I'm planning to do just that.

Regards,

WITH ALL of the pop rivet heads out in the air to drag along, the 12 was not ment to be a CLEAN A/C.

RUTAN built that airplane to go fast on a small amount of power............. Klaus just made it better. Nothing amazing about the O200. What is amazing, is the LSI, and his FI, and the prop that he made. Also all of the other changes that was made to the airframe.

The fastest RV.......... an RV4 with a MODIFIED IO360, and built really clean and an altered prop, can just stay with Klaus. And the fuel burn........ not even close.

RUTAN built that airplane to go fast on a small amount of power............. Klaus just made it better. Nothing amazing about the O200. What is amazing, is the LSI, and his FI, and the prop that he made. Also all of the other changes that was made to the airframe.

What he said.

Klaus has been tweaking this setup for a lot of years. It is the sum of a lot of small improvements, to an already "vari" efficient airframe

Not saying the RV-12 is a comparable airplane, but the O-200 has been discounted as a poor choice for a long time (Compared to a Rotax 912) and I think this helps prove that it can be a great little motor. You should see what we do with them in Forumla 1.

This is certainly not in Klaus's league, but my RV-3B has surprised me with its efficiency. Here's an EFIS screen dump from a recent trip to SoCal, check out the numbers...

SS051506.jpg

I had planned a fuel stop on the flight from Portland to Rosamond and we ended up skipping it flying non-stop 833 sm. 188 mph TAS on 5.4 gph resulting in 35.3 statute miles per gallon (lower left corner), she's a fairly efficient little bird.

Dan Checkoway hosted an E-race a while back, I'd like to see more of this sort of thing.

A truly efficient plane

I wonder what this guy could do.

He achieved "213.18 mph on AR-5's 65-hp Rotax 582 two-stroke (emphasis mine) engine"

I'm excited that the fuel prices are driving up innovation. I just hope that innovation stays ahead of extinction of pilots.

A TRULY EFFICIENT PLANE

Mike Arnold's AR5 has been around quite a while. I saw it at a fly in in Sacramento in 2002. It is now in the Hiller museum in San Carlos. it is interesting that after the record flight Arnold got calls and visits from some of the top aero engineers in the country. Mike designed the AR6, a formula one racer. This aircraft, built and flown by David Hoover, took second in gold at Reno in 2005 and 2006. In 2007 the AR6 won the gold at Reno. This was overshadowed by the loss of Gary Hubler, the top qualifier, in a heat race.