jsenft

Well Known Member
I made both the pilot and co-pilots Control stick pushrod 9 5/16 as described on page 32-05. When I locked in my flaprons to drill the flapron tubes, I noticed that the pilot stick was vertical while the co-pilot side was leaning to the right. I thought OK slight off and ? turn would fix it. Nope, more like 5-8 turns. The co-pilots tube is defiantly longer but the stick is straight. Is this a normal adjustment?

When you have a defiant stick... there is just nothing you can do about it.
Like a teenager... they are hard to bend.
Happy Mothers day

Mine was a little off vertical, and the adjustment is a bear due to access. I ended up adding inspection ports under each stick for access. It greatly simplifies both annual inspection in that area and linkage adjustments.

I wish Vans would consider adding a few inspection ports in the design, especially on the belly. I also added one on the starboard side near the tail to facilitate stabilator removal.

After reading this post I decided to check my setup, and found that both sticks were slightly off-vertical (outboard) when in their usual stick-forward position with flaperons locked. Not a lot, but enough to be annoying. So in the quest for perfection I went to the trouble of adjusting them over the weekend, about four turns of each pushrod. Got a sore back from leaning over the edge of the cockpit, but achieved a very nice result.... until I moved the sticks from full forward to full back and noticed that they now both leaned in at the midway point. That's when the light went on as I realised the obvious - the outboard end of the pushrod moves through an arc from front to back, and the stick clearly has to do the same. If you follow the plans, the stick should be vertical in its neutral mid-point position in level flight. It seems those Van's people know what they're doing. Lesson learned. :(