AirbusPilot

Well Known Member
Hi Folks,

I have installed in my 8 a CO Guardian aero-551 monitor that worked OK for 300 hours and 2 and a half years, but now when I turned it on it said "failed", this is not an alarm about CO it said the unit is bad. My plane has been always hangared and I take good care of her, so I am not happy this expensive instrument failed without any abuse, worst I have been sending lot of emails to CO Guardian and they do not answer. Anyone could help me to contact them???, anyone have been in problems with their equipment???

Happy flying,

Fernando

Fernando, someone else will probably have a better answer for you, but the CO detector that I have requires a replacement of the CO sensor every 5 years I believe. It could be you just need a new sensor. Check it out and good luck contacting Guardian.

I just checked out their web site and they seem to be up and running. Here is their blurb on replacing the sensor and recalibration:

"Recalibration
Re-calibration:
Although the CO sensors in our CO detectors have a life of 5 to 7 years under ideal conditions and if protected from all external
contaminants, we recommend a re-calibration of the units after 5 years. The CO sensor is very sensitive, and certain external
substances in the ambient air can change its characteristics and affect its reliability.
The re-calibration can be done by us for a flat fee ( Please contact CO Guardian for pricing information). This service includes
installation of a new CO sensor, re-calibration, and a complete system check. You get a fresh 12 month warranty after this service."

Sounds like you need to send your unit in for a new sensor and recalibration. Your warranty appears to have expired after 1 year. Good luck! :)

Hi Patch,

Thank for your help, but when I bought CO Sensor I understand that it will last 5 years, but if this is going to last just 2, I prefer not to use it anymore, overhaul cost USD450, I have to ship from Chile and pay taxes so after turn around is going to cost around USD800, that will be acceptable every 5 year but not 2. I think I will go with something like http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/llifecodetectors.php in the future.
I am building another 8 and I was just ready to buy another 551 but no, worst thing is they do not reply mail:mad:

And the extra scam to their $450 fee: I'm working at a company where we put a very sensitive calibrated electronic co detector into our device. Our price for that calibrated part? $25

I wouldn't be surprised if these folks are using a similar $25 sensor.

Hi Patch,

Thank for your help, but when I bought CO Sensor I understand that it will last 5 years, but if this is going to last just 2, I prefer not to use it anymore, overhaul cost USD450, I have to ship from Chile and pay taxes so after turn around is going to cost around USD800, that will be acceptable every 5 year but not 2. I think I will go with something like http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/llifecodetectors.php in the future.
I am building another 8 and I was just ready to buy another 551 but no, worst thing is they do not reply mail:mad:

Or you could try one of these (I have used one of their detectors for years in my RV-6 and it has given me good service at a reasonable price):

http://www.aeromedix.com/CO_Experts_Low_Level_Detector_Model_2010.html