Clarkie

Well Known Member
Well, had a nice cross country planned tomorrow, but my buddy had to cancel due to family emergency. Anyway, I'm determined to take a nice day trip somewhere with in 90 minutes or so from CLT. Anybody have any recommendations? Airport restaurant or someplace that has a courtesy car available a big plus. Already done the Pick N Pig. Looking to stretch the -6's legs a bit.

Thanks

Tom! I would fly to Ocracoke. Call Howard's pub upon landing and they will pick you up in their valet golf cart. Try the crab cake sandwich

Okracoke and Howard's Pub is a great trip. You can actually walk from the airport, probably a mile or so. And the mosquitoes shouldn't be too bad this time of year.

Bill Vinson

Thanks for the recs guys. Think I'm heading to St Simon's Island in GA. Being brand new to tailwheel airplanes and how "fun" they can be to land, the winds will be too strong in Ocracoke for my liking. Definitely on my list when I get some experience and confidence. I swear this thing is harder to land than the 747 I fly at work!

Beaufort, S.C.

Tom, Beaufort is the best kept secret on the East coast! I have a gold 4 wheel drive Ford truck in the parking lot that you can use to go to Barbara Jean's, a seafood restaurant nearby, who's owner drove F-4's in Viet Nam.

In the terminal, Tim Verroi has Sensible Car rental, is a friend of mine and Ray's, now owns an immaculate -8A that Ray "Glass-panelled" recently.

Call me 478 494 three seven, 57.

Best

Howards would have been fun and today is their yearly reopening. The winds however are forecast in the mid twenties. Pierre, Do you know anything about the real estate market in the Beaufort area? I would love to find a getaway place on or near the water but not a tourist situation like Myrtle Beach. It also needs to be cheap! That makes finding something in the NC/SC area difficult. Should have easy airport access also.

George

Tom, Beaufort is the best kept secret on the East coast! I have a gold 4 wheel drive Ford truck in the parking lot that you can use to go to Barbara Jean's, a seafood restaurant nearby, who's owner drove F-4's in Viet Nam.

In the terminal, Tim Verroi has Sensible Car rental, is a friend of mine and Ray's, now owns an immaculate -8A that Ray "Glass-panelled" recently.

Call me 478 494 three seven, 57.

Best

I was impressed by the Barbra Jeans on SSI, I assume the one in Beaufort is better, since its the original, isn't it?

Pierre, what are some other good things for visitors to Beaufort to do?

Thanks Pierre. I'll take you up on the truck offer next time I go. George and I flew to KSSI (St Simons Island) today and ate at Babara Jeans for lunch, Good food and we met the owner you mentioned. Turns out he and George knew a lot of the same people.

Going down at 10,500 we caught some good winds and saw in excess of 220 Kts GS. Not so much coming home. Good time and a nice cross country.