N941WR

Legacy Member
Just another tip for those building tip-ups. For obvious reasons this has to be done before installing the canopy.

Sometimes you just have to work on your "Honey Do" list when building an airplane. My list included adding a cloths hanger for my wife. Let's face it, we hope to use the -9 to take some trips and it would be nice if our clothes made it without looking like they were left in the dryer for a week. When finished I simply riveted it to the support above the baggage compartment. Remember, this plane will have the tip-up canopy, sliders do not have this support. The aluminum angle was some scrap I had laying around and the carabineer was found at the local hardware store for $1.00. Total weight gain was a few ounces.

Last edited:
Great mod, Bill !

Bernie Kerr had a simple one also. I saw it in Waco a few years back and took a pic (intending on putting one in my 6).

BernieKerrClothesHangingRod.jpg

Of course, lazy me, I just drilled some holes in that large piece and put hangers in there individually <g>.

Last edited:
I'll try again

Pegboard hangars from Home Depot ($1.67) and 3 #8 nutplates. Sorry for the bad cell phone pic! They hold clothes or headsets!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rudi's Version

Here is my version of the tip up clothes hanger modification.

I bought 2 standard clothes hanger brackets and a piece of stock aluminium pipe from a DIY store. Cut the ends of the brackets to form a semi circle. The cut out is to clear the rear storage compartment skin and the L reinforcement bracket on the roll bar.
tip_up_hanger_01.jpg

Position and mark the bracket as shown, note your edge distances.
tip_up_hanger_06.jpg

tip_up_hanger_07.jpg

I fastened the forward one with blind rivets and the rear with #8 screws to make it removable.
tip_up_hanger_04.jpg

tip_up_hanger_05.jpg

You may need to file a little bit of the pipe away at one end to account for the angle deflection.
tip_up_hanger_03.jpg

tip_up_hanger_02.jpg

Regards
Rudi

try this

I installed a small rod similar to the Bernie Kerr one in my 9A tipup... however, if I build another one, I'll just put a single piece of metal across the flanges about 3" in front of the back bulkhead to create a place for a large S hook or a carabiner to go.
Then, I'll put the hook in place and put hangars on the S-hook when needed.

It is hard to get the hangars up inside that channel with the rod up in there. (note the resized hooks on those hangars)

ClayR_9A said:
<SNIP>
It is hard to get the hangars up inside that channel with the rod up in there. (note the resized hooks on those hangars)

Mine is easy no problem, have enough headroom, simply turn the hangar 90 degrees, then up against the channel, then back and it hangs.

S hook is simple, but what if you've got lots of hangars??? :D

Last edited:
RudiGreyling said:
S hook is simple, but what if you've got lots of hangars??? :D
What are you flying, a dry cleaning delivery service? :D

My wife uses a garment bag for her stuff, and my shirts all come from the floor, let alone a hanger.

Just kidding. Cool stuff.

dan said:
What are you flying, a dry cleaning delivery service? :D

My wife uses a garment bag for her stuff, and my shirts all come from the floor, let alone a hanger.

Just kidding. Cool stuff.

I plan on LONG holidays with the RV, needs lot of clothes!! :D :) :eek: :p ;)

One another advantage I was thinking of just now, if the baggage compartment is full to the back the clothes can still hang towards the front...