Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Getting ready to attach the wing bottom skins. I've fabricated a pitot tube with a second line for AOA.

d5bfa07a.jpg

How are folks attaching the pitot (AOA line)to the wing?

Thanks,

Tom

A solution

OK, so here's what I did to solve this one.

I purchased another AN fitting identical to the one VANs supplies for the pitot tube. Made a short elbow out of 1/4" aluminum tube with a flared end to attach to the bottom of the fitting inside the wing. I then used a 1/4" quick connect tubing fitting to mate-up with the 1/4" plastic (ice maker line) AOA line which I ran through my electrical conduit.
059561d5.jpg

This next photo shows the AN fitting through the skin.
63df1d54.jpg

Finally the pitot tube attached to both lines.
44470abd.jpg

I'm pleased with the result. I think it looks nice and it's quite sturdy.

Last edited:
That?s a cool idea but those round tubes create a lot of drag. You might want to create a simple streamlined fairing out of modeler?s fiberglass to cover that.

Watch this short video for some aerodynamic basics.

Neat Tom. I like the idea of running the tube inside the conduit. How does it exit and how it will penetrate the fuse?

???

Vlad - I have NO idea... :D
Figured I'd deal with that when I get the fuselage built...

How's that heater working out???

Vlad - I have NO idea... :D
Figured I'd deal with that when I get the fuselage built...

How's that heater working out???

Ah forgot you don't have fuse yet. Preheater is cool I somehow could not figure out how to start it. Yesterday did old fashioned way :D

a2045450.jpg

Bill,

I agree - I'm thinking about how I might accomplish that. Any suggestions?

Tom
Cover it in modeler?s clay and smooth it so it looks good. Cover everything that you don?t want FG resin on and then fiberglass over it. When it hardens, cut it off and then use something like Velcro to hold it in place. For something small like this, go to Hobby Town and buy some modeler?s fiberglass. The stuff is super lightweight and you won?t need a lot of it.

Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Can't remember?

Turn on the fan, open the tank, hold in the gas valve button and hit the ignitor. Hold in the gas valve button for about 20-30 seconds.

If that doesn't work I can show you after you take me flying :D

Update

OK, having a little fun with this. I happened to have a block of balsa wood so I cut off a 1/4 thick piece and from that cut 2 pieces following the contours of the pitot tube
c5ef73ec.jpg

I glued the pieces to the pitot using some JB Weld and tapered the trailing edges.
e93b72f5.jpg

Then covered the whole thing with a thin coat of Bondo
c868b772.jpg

a5488d65.jpg

Next will be to cover with some hobby fiberglass, epoxy and paint. Not sure if I'll try and do something with the AN nuts - maybe a separate fairing. Right now the whole things weighs just 1.5 oz.

Video

Bill R.,
Thanks for the video. That is cool to see it first hand.
There won't be any round parts on my plane if I can help it.