Buggsy2

Well Known Member
I was talking with a friend who used to own a turbo Cessna 210 (he sold it in anticipation of not being able to renew his medical). He was naturally happy with its climb performance at high-altitude airports. I said I thought that normally-aspirated RVs could climb well at altitude also, and he wanted to know more (he thought I was BSing or overstating the RV performance).

So my question is: what's your climb rate at 8000 feet? VSI rate is fine, and I don't care about standard conditions, etc. If you reply please list:

• RV model (-4, -6/6A, -7/7A, etc)
  • Engine horsepower (150hp, 160, 180, etc)
  • Climb rate as you best recall at 8000 feet or thereabouts

It really depends on weight, temperature, and if you're interested in max climb or cruise climb. My airplane (160 hp RV-6) climbs at about 700 fpm at that altitude and 140 knots on a standard day with just me in the airplane. Loaded for Oshkosh, on a 90+ degree day, the climb isn't nearly as good.

RV10

typical load, warm weather, IAS123knots, typically 800+fpm, and passing through 10,000 700-750fpm.

Approaching FL130 the IAS back to 115knots and still doing 550fpm. :)

If it were a TN machine I would struggle to keep up! :D

I love winter in the mtns of Colorado

I fly out of Granby Colo (8000ft elev) in my 6 with an 0-360 and can get almost 2000 ft per minute up to 12000 ft,, but the outside temp will be 0 or below.
In the summer I will get around 12 to 1400 feet per minute climb up to 12000ft. The RVs are the only aircraft to fly in Colorado.

With my 135 HP O-290-D2 RV-9 I could easily cruise climb it at 700 FPM at 10,000' MSL. I was under GW but had 3/4 tanks, my wife and baggage for a weekend away.

The first time I did this I just laughed because many airplanes can't go up that fast at sea level.

I didn't test the new engine at those altitudes but I'm sure it has to be better.

Just flew this today after reading your post...

Take off at 120 ft elevation and direct climb for 5 minutes to 10,300... pretty light but not on fumes ;) A fairly casual but dedicated climb without close effort to maintain Vy. As I passed 10k the climb rate was solidly above 1,600.

These planes are exceptionally well balanced and truly deserve the tagline - total performance!