C-L-E-A-V-E-L-A-N-D

And be sure you spell "CLEAVELAND" right. It has two "A's."
Well, on second thought, there are so many times it's been misspelled, you need to search on both "CLEAVELAND" and "CLEVELAND" to get them all.
Wonder why they spell it that way...:confused:

In my experience between the two, the support has been stronger at Avery. I've made purchases from both but have been surprised and the level of personal attention I get from Avery...especially when trying to solve a problem or get help as a first time builder. They have always been great to work with.

Today I shop Avery first because I can count on the products and they treat me with respect even though I obviously don't know what I'm talking about half the times I call. :rolleyes:

My $.02

- Peter

Tools

I own the Cleaveland kit but have purchased many tools from Avery. I prefer the Cleaveland "Main Squeeze" hand squeezer to others I tried (including Avery). I've also had great service from Cleaveland...no worries with either company.

Mike

Other option

You might also check out PlaneTools. I got my tools from them and the support and response was great. Website is http://www.planetools.com/
I even think they might have a special sale going on.

C A
N33WE (reserved)

Another option

As stated above, Isham, AKA: Planetools.com, is another option.

I chose them as they seemed to have good feedback and comments here. I've posted a review on them here:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=35512

I went with them because for about the same money I got a pneumatic squeezer (love it), and a DRDT-2 dimpler (great piece of gear as well).

Isham did right by me, see my review for more info.

I have no experience with cleavelend, but I did buy an avery hand squeeer from the VAF classifieds... yet to use it but it looks like good stuff... it uses the same yokes as my pneumatic.

Tom

Last edited:
I've bought many tools from both Avery and Cleaveland (although not their kits) and have been equally pleased with both companies. I also bought the "Main Squeeze" from Cleaveland and have been very happy with it.
John

I really like the Avery kit.

I'd modify it a bit though. They'll work with you on customizing the kit to fit your needs.

Phil

1 ) Drop the C-Frame for a DRDT-2.
2 ) Drop the hand squeezer for a pneumatic squeezer.
3 ) Drop the vice grip style dimpler all together.
4 ) Add a longeron yoke.
5 ) Add a few more rolls of emory cloth.
6 ) Add some extra 1" scotch brite wheels.
7 ) Drop the vice grip style fluting pliers and replace with the larger regular type.
8 ) Add a rivet removal tool - make life much easier.
9 ) Add a dimpling/riveting block set.
http://www.averytools.com/pc-617-19-dimpling-riveting-block-set.aspx

I really like the Avery kit.

I'd modify it a bit though. They'll work with you on customizing the kit to fit your needs.

Phil

1 ) Drop the C-Frame for a DRDT-2.
2 ) Drop the hand squeezer for a pneumatic squeezer.
3 ) Drop the vice grip style dimpler all together.
4 ) Add a longeron yoke.
5 ) Add a few more rolls of emory cloth.
6 ) Add some extra 1" scotch brite wheels.
7 ) Drop the vice grip style fluting pliers and replace with the larger regular type.
8 ) Add a rivet removal tool - make life much easier.
9 ) Add a dimpling/riveting block set.
http://www.averytools.com/pc-617-19-dimpling-riveting-block-set.aspx

FYI other than the longeron yoke, small scotch brite wheels, emory cloth, and rivet removal tool, you basically got a planetools.com kit there... no vice grip type stuff in Isham's kit....

I was pretty confused trying to figure out what was best when I started... I bought ishams, then played with stuff at harbor frieght... see some more info on Harbor Frieght Aircraft supply here.... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=36374

I've got dream sheets made up for more tools from all the suppliers... never seem to get enough tools! But tools are like underwear... some guys like boxers, some briefs, some boxer briefs :) ;)

Personally (and for our business), when we need to buy tool things that those guys carry, I usually try to split my orders over the year between Avery and Cleaveland both. Bob Avery is a heck of a good guy, so are the Lauritsen's. Both groups are airplane guys, both usually spend the time and money to go to OSH, and both support the RV community....so, I try to send money to both of them.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company - heck, try to use both and you'll see both of them are great companies. I also like both of them equally well because they are small full time businesses that do this for a living.

My 2 cents as usual, and I know I didn't answer your question at all! Just wanted to say both outfits are pretty darned good to deal with.

Cheers,
Stein

I made up my own kit from both companies, after having a training session at another builders. I wanted certain things like the main squeeze and some things from one supplier, and the other supplier had better prices on some things.

I had problems with some of the tools, both companies had excellent customer service and replaced things without me sending them in first (they sent me another tool at my request, when i got the replacement it came with a shipping label for me to send the original in)

know what you want or just buy a kit and start working. you'll figure it out.

Tool Vendor Choice

I too looked at tools for about a month and compared prices before I made a vendor selection. First of all, I'm sure all of the suppliers are good. When I looked at what separated them, it came down to speaking with each of the vendors to see who was able to help me in my selection by giving me advice first and NOT trying to make tool kit sale.

Just an opinion but I went with Isham...Plane Tools. I am very happy with the choice of tools and especially the service and depth of knowledge/support. NOT JUST RV's

The dimplier offered standard by Isham is one of the best available. It by far allows the operator the most control and consistency when dimpling. The pneumatic squeezer is also a tool you do not want to do without! I would suggest you purchase a 4" frame for the pneumatic squeezer with the kit as it allows you to get into places that are difficult to reach. I also suggest you purchase a standard hand held squeezer as it will allow you to get a feel for how the process is done before jumping in there with an air tool.

The extra dollars you'll pay up front for the Isham tool package is worth the quality you will get in your fabrication process.

This is just an observation after building for the last 5 years om my RV-9A but if I had it to do over I would make a few changes. Hear are a few things I did right. I bought a used pneumatic squeezer from "The Yard" and it has worked perfectly since day one and saved some dollars. I bought a Dotco mini palm air drill that is a wonderful tool. I bought a tungsten bucking bar from Webster that is amazing. I seldom ever pick up a different bar. I made a dimpler like the DRTD Dimpler, only because I own a machine shop otherwise I would have bought one from them. Great tool.
Here's what I did wrong. I bought a regular hand squeezer and should have bought the Main Squeeze. I have arthritis and don't have the grip strength I used too. I should have bought the Webster bucking bar 5 years earlier but in my defense they weren't available. I wish I had bought a different tool for edge breaking the skins. I have never liked the vice grip type that Cleaveland sells. My advice would be to buy some tools from Avery, some from Cleaveland and whomever has the best tool for the job. I am a machinist by trade and I have seen other machinists buy only tools made by one company like auto mechanics might buy only Snap-On tools. There will always be one brand of tool that will out perform another brand. No one company makes all the best tools. Avery and Cleaveland are both great sources and and support our hobby wholeheartedly. By spreading the wealth around you get better acquainted with several vendors and over time you will buy from most of them anyway. I hope this helps in some small way.