rjcthree

Well Known Member
Everyone,

I need more clecos for wing building. Having purchased whatever Aircraft Spruce sells, and being dissapointed in the quality (but once the tips are cleaned up with a file, they work well) and what Avery sells (good looking, but don't draw up with any force on thin items, center guides seem to be offset and hard to center) and being unhappy with those, I'm looking for other guidance.

What do you use, how do you like them, and where did you buy them?

Thanks,

Rick 90432 Wings

Rick,
I have bought #40 clecos from Avery, Brown and Cleveland. The ones from Brown seems to stick a little brand new, but now that they are all mixed up, I can't tell the difference. I found Brown to be the cheapest in price, and I think they had free shipping for buying more than $75 worth of goods.

I've ordered 1100 (so far) from Cleaveland Tool and only had about 2 "duds" so far. In each case the center pin was malformed - too wide to fit in the hole. I've found them very strong. I could probably use about 300 more - I'm building both wings at once and I like lots of clecos.

I ordered 250 of various sizes from Pan American to get started on my sonex project - so far I'm quite happy with them. No malformed tips and good grip strength. As a bonus, they had the cheapest prices when I ordered from them. www.panamericantool.com

I'm not affiliated with them in any way - just a satisfied customer. I also ordered drill bits from them - they make them, so the price is good for them also (12 packs).

Bought about 800 from Avery's - I've never had the drawing up problem you mention. All have worked well except one or two duds, and I'm deep in on a wing. They pulled the skin to nose ribs tight enough, a traditionally difficult area.

Mine are from Spruce and they won't hold well in skin to rib use, once the holes are final drilled and dimpled. Other than that, they seem to work fine.

They are the "Cleko-loc" brand, for whatever that's worth.

Dave

David Johnson said:
Mine are from Spruce and they won't hold well in skin to rib use, once the holes are final drilled and dimpled. Other than that, they seem to work fine.

They are the "Cleko-loc" brand, for whatever that's worth.Dave
This is more important than where you get your clecos. I have both the cleko-loc brand and the wedge-loc brand. I would recommend the wedge-loc brand as they definitely hold better. Whenever you dimple a skin the cleko brand will not hold.

I have a few from time to time where the center is misaligned. If I actuate the cleco and gently push on it, it clicks back into place. I think it's just how they're made.

Cleko Sources

One source that everyone missed is Vans. They don't sell a lot of tools but they usually have a good price on Clekos. They occasionally have a sale when they have an UNBEATABLE price on them. I've bought 300 from them and they have all been the 'wedge-loc' type I believe. All the brands damage pretty easily. Get them in a bulk buy so if one gets bent you can dispose of it rather than try and fix it. I like repairing things so it pains me to say that but keeping bent ones just isn't worth it. Same thing with drills, I have sharpened tons of large ones in my machining days, but the price of 40's and 30's in larger lots (I've been using Cleaveland) it makes more sense to replace. FWIW.
Bill Jepson

Wedge Loc

I have both the Wedge-Loc and Qwik-Loc brands, I highly recommend the Wedge-Loc.

Wedge Loc

I ordered clekos from Cleaveland, Avery, ATS, and even some from Vans. I'm mid-way through my 1st wing and find myself wanting to use only the Wedge Loc type I got from Cleaveland. They are the best quality in both strength and smoothness. They are, IMHO, far superior to the other brands. Just ordered 250 more from Cleaveland.

I vote for the Wedge Loc type I got from Cleaveland. They hold great unlike some of the others I had early on.

Wedgeloc seem to work all around. Kwik-Lock Are tight in the undrilled #40 holes but once the holes are drilled and dimpled they work great. The cleco-loc brand should be banned by the FAA.

Thanks

Everybody, thanks for the input. The downside is that what the general concensus is is the opposite of my experience.

The newest 100 I bought (from Avery, not that it matters) is Wedge-lok, and they don't draw up well. Maybe they are just tight/new?

The first 250 were cleco-lok from AS, and they have really crummy tips, but generally work better - but maybe thats a function of break-in time.

Frankly, I need about a zillion (ok, 300) NOW. I am completely out, having the outboard LE and top skin on L wing only.

Decision made: I'll buy more Wedge-loks, as I need them, and need to place an AVery order anyway . . . and we'll just see what happens.

RIck 90432