During the wing build (lots of clecos!), I used a cheap cloth nail apron. I think it was a give-away at the local McCoy's Hardware. Worked great.

What Larry said: I used a .99-cent cloth apron from Home Depot. It's got two compartments sewn in, so one side contains each of the two sizes of clecos you'll be using. The apron is less bulky, since it rides up against your waist. Cleco pliers fit right in too. I tried the shotgun shell holder approach first, and since it stuck out away from the belt, it was always banging into something and kind of in the way. Your mileage may vary, but the cloth nail apron is dirt cheap and highly effective!

Back when coffee was sold in an actual can I saved a few 1 Lb Maxwell House cans (back before I upgraded coffee and a 1 lb. can of coffee still was an actual point).

Still have them full of clecos, still use them when needed.

But the nail apron idea seems like a nice idea.

During the wing build (lots of clecos!), I used a cheap cloth nail apron. I think it was a give-away at the local McCoy's Hardware. Worked great.

Me too, I think you have a winner!!. copper right, nickel left, or . . . :D

The cartridge pouch will work good, but you have to holler PULL every time you pry out a cleco.

I used a 1 gallon bleach bottle with 6" hole cut in the side of the container, It still had the handle and holds about 200 clecos. The pouring spout holds 2 pair of cleco pliers.. Works good for me.

Many become one...

I've found out recently, that proseal will quickly turn a pile of seperate clecos into one big glob of clecos. Then, you simply tote this giant ball around while working, pulling off the clecos as you need them. No need for a sack. :D

I also found an emptied (not recently!) beer pitcher from Wurstfest worked well for holding clecos when working on the wings. The lightning holes in the spar are the perfect size.

Snapshot_20100327_4.jpg

I like the nail apron idea for keeping clecos handy, but you'd better tie it tight if it has enough clecos in it to drill a set of wing skins.:eek: I use plastic jugs with the tops cut off (leave the handle;)) - 2 milk jugs (white) for 3/32, and an orange juice jug (orange) for the 1/8 size. Plenty of room for several hundred clecos and a pair of pliers in each one.

FP23062013A0003W.jpg

I found that Tide bottles worked best for me, quite satisfied with the results. (And the Downy made the Clecos softer as well)
vi1gfm.jpg
[/IMG]

I've found out recently, that proseal will quickly turn a pile of seperate clecos into one big glob of clecos. Then, you simply tote this giant ball around while working, pulling off the clecos as you need them. No need for a sack. :D

THAT is an LOL moment !!! :D:D:D

I thought about the tool belt idea, but the one I have lying around is too big and bulky. I like the apron idea. I might have to try it.

I have jugs which hold all the clecos. This idea was just so that I did not have to move the jug all over the place. I could fill up the pouch and they move with me. Then use the jug for storage.

Ken

Several options

I've used several of the methods mentioned in this thread.

I keep my inventory of clecos in separate plastic jugs with a hole cut out for easy access.

I also have 3 or 4 Lowe's or Home Depot nail aprons with clecos in them. These are lightweight and really easy to work with.

And then, depending on what I'm working on, I sometimes wear an apron I got at Harbor Freight similar to this one. It's inexpensive and has lots of pockets for things other than clecos, like Sharpie pen(s), machinist's rule, air compressor, :eek: , etc.

My cleco holder

Finally I get to contribute to a thread! I've never posted pictures. So this may take a few tries.

I have bulk storage for my clecos and I use them, but the most useful way I organize and move clecos around is pictured below. Besides organizing them it also allows me to work with the clecos with a single hand freeing up my other hand for holding something else.

https://plus.google.com/photos/1085...5916510658991190882&oid=108590206652578981177

https://plus.google.com/photos/1085...5916512211916299042&oid=108590206652578981177

Cheap. Simple. Practical.

Randy

Can't see photos

RV8R_Randy,

We can't see your photos.

Please read this. (The link shows up as "Insert Pics" in the top left section of each page in the VAF Forums.)

Even with my sign-in to Google, "access is denied."

Hope this helps.

Don

Last edited:
I feel like such an underachiever. Mine are in the big heavy duty zip-lock plastic bags they came in. I just set it under the seat on my little rolling mechanic's chair when working around the wing rack, or wherever is handy on the bench.

I picked up a shop apron at Harbor Freight over the weekend, but the pocket is ridiculously small and the loop that's supposed to fit over my head is sized for a 12 year old Chinese garment factory worker, or the safari hunter who called the witch doctor a bloody fake. Obviously I need to take a different approach on that.

I was thinking about a way to have easy access to clecos while using them.

Anyone ever use a shot gun shell holder on a belt? Like the one in the link below.

http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company...513635&sr=8-23&keywords=shotgun+shell+holders

This would keep them off the bench and they would follow you around your work to where you need them.

Lots of thread drift :) but back to the original question: that's exactly what I used, a shotgun shell pouch and belt ( well, mine was black:D) worked great for me and also held the drill when both hands are needed.

I don't mind the drifting of the thread. It was a way to start a conversation to see if other people had better ideas.

now if I could only find my shot gun shell holder. I have been looking for it for days. I will probably just buy something. Maybe the nail apron first, since it is cheap.

Thanks