David Paule

Well Known Member
This caught me by surprise. I was doing something with a couple of flap ribs that were surplus to my RV-3B project and I found that they were covered with a clear vinyl. Not the common blue but clear.

eebn6.jpg

The only two ways I could tell it was on the parts was because on one edge, where I'd deburred it, the plastic was a bit ragged. And also because the surface felt a bit plasticy. Yes, it was on both sides of both ribs.

These flap ribs had been ordered after the kit was delivered in 2012 and I don't know when they were made.

Keep a wary eye out, friends!

Dave
(Sorry for the crappy photo.)

Yep, older kits had clear coating. My recollection may be very poor but it seems the blue comes off easier.

The flap motor cover panels in my 2002 RV-7 quick build kit had the clear plastic covering. I painted and installed them before I discovered they were covered. :eek:

Same thing happened for me with the sub spare receptacles. Etched, alodine and primed them before I noticed the plastic coming up.

Yes, some of us who are taking too long to get this thing done are STILL working with clear plastic. :eek: