tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I have used Naphtha to clean the canopy, and it seems to work great. Should the same be used to clean the wingtip lense? It seems to be a different material, and I wanted to make sure the same cleaning "rules" apply.

Thanks,
Scott
7A Finishing

Not sure what the wing tip lenses are made of, but if they are Lexan, be careful. Polycarbonate (Lexan) does not do well with many chemicals, including gasoline and acetone.

Soap and water

Mild soap and water for normal cleaning, some Plexus or Maguires #17 if it needs a little more polish. If the lenses are polycarbonate (Lexan) NEVER use a polish containing silicone. For the plexiglass (acrylic) canopy the same advice, soap and water, Plexus, Maguiers but avoid anything with ammonia (Windex.) The ammonia will, with time, cause the surface to "craze."

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Soap and water I'm sure is fine, but there is some adhesive that needs something stronger.

I was hoping to find a solvent of some type that others have used successfully.

THanks,
Scott

When I was on the police force in S Tx, I used FLITZ cream on my over head lights that were severly oxidized. Worked great to clear them up. It is a very, very mild polishing compound, even used it on blued guns with no damage to the finish. With a little elbow grease it would probably take the adhesive marks off. Might try it on a very small spot on the underside of the lens just to be safe.
Mike

lemon pledge

I use it on my 172 windshield and it shines it up real nice and it takes the bugs off too. Used it on my rv windshield and same result.

tx_jayhawk said:
Soap and water I'm sure is fine, but there is some adhesive that needs something stronger.

I was hoping to find a solvent of some type that others have used successfully.

THanks,
Scott
If the adhesive is from tape, stickers, etc - try WD-40... it works great for the gooy stuff and shouldn't hurt anything on a plane.

Jeff

Certainly no guarantees, but on the car repair TV show "Two Guys Garage" I saw an interesting technique.

They were spiffing up an older used car for one of their buddies. On the cloudy and nearly opaque plastic headlight lenses they used plain old TOOTHPASTE on a rag. It made a tremendous improvement!!!