avee8tor13

Well Known Member
All,

What is the best cleaner that will not cause any damage like remove engine paint or cowling paint, when trying to clean a oily lycoming engine?

Thanks.

Mineral spirits works well.

Simple Green also has a formula originally developed for aircraft, now marketed for "Motorsports"

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. The url link you sent says it works on RV's too :0)

I will give this stuff a try. Again thanks.

Ditto mineral spirits. Cheap enough to use a suction sprayer and do a thorough job as often as needed. Dries fast.

I've used a spray can of foamy "Engine Brite" cleaner (automotive stuff) and rinsed off with a water hose. Made the engine look like new again. Just make sure not to get water inside the mags/alternator/starter, and let everything air-dry well before you attempt to start the engine.

Mineral spirits will make scat slimy. Every shop used to use it a lot. Not so much now. Evaporation rate is slow & it leaves a film/residue. That said, I still use it on a really juicy engine followed by hot water & degreasing detergent. For smaller or moderate oiliness try QD electronics cleaner aerosol. Almost instant evaporation, less mess.

Precision clean

LPS Precision Clean is what I've been using for years. It does a great job on greasy bellies, engines etc. I buy it in the gallon jugs and use diluted in a trigger sprayer. Its biodegradable and water-based.
Meets or exceeds these specs.
?McDonnell Douglas CSD#1
?Boeing D6-17487Rev.H
?AMS 1526A
?AMS 1550B
?ASTM F-519, Type 1C
?NSF Registered Category Code C1 Registration # 059854

Check it out on the LPS site http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/de...sionClean.html