TerryPancake

Well Known Member
I am sorry to ask a question that more than likely has been asked and answered 100 times. But what is everybody using to clean the ?mystery oil? off of the aluminum on the QB kits ? I used Aceton on some test areas outside the fuselage and it took the Sherwin Williams right off. So Aceton is not what I want to use unless I want to redo all the work Van already did for me.
Thanks..

Cleaning "Mystery Oil"

I think the oil is WD-40. Good old dish soap and water will clean it off. I use Dawn Dish Soap (blue stuff) but any dish soap would probably do the trick. The green primer that Van's uses will also wipe off with plain old Isopropyl Alcohol. Sherwin Williams "SherWill Clean" sp? will clean the QB wash primer with no ill effects also. At first I was not impressed with the QB primer but I think it probably does protext the aluminum and seems to provide a good undercoat for a more durable top coat it. I have sprayed 2-part Super Koropon expoy primer over the wash primer and it adhered ok.
JD

I pressure washed mine and just filled a 30 gallon garbage can with Dawn detergent and water mix to suck from and sprayed it with high pressure and rinsed. It removed every bit of oil in every nook and cranny effortlessly. I did this about noon and it dried in less than an hour in the sun. I then waited till evening and sprayed the interior with paint and it was done.

Jeff

Same QB stage

OK, guys, so I'm at probably at nearly the same QB stage on a -9. Are you using the S-W primer on the parts that aren't primed by Vans? If so, do you have any comments, suggestions, or watch-outs regarding it's use? Any input would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks.