Stalldog

Well Known Member
There are at least a 1,000 Proseal posts, and I feel like I've read them all 1,000 times! :D Very good tips to be had in just about each post; however, there is one thing that concerns me about cleaning Proseal off the skins after driving rivets:

If I use Naphtha or Acetone to clean the excess mess off the skins just after riveting, what keeps the solvent from weeping under the rivet head and weakening the seal? From what I've read the manufacturer says that Proseal can be thinned with Toluene, but that using any other solvent degrades the sealant. So, what keeps these other solvents from degrading the sealant under/around the rivets? Is this something I shouldn't be worried about? Or, maybe I should use Toluene to clean excess around the rivets?​

I'm serious, this is about the only thing that I haven't seen posted regarding the use of Proseal. It may actually be in post 1,001 -- I'm still reading! ;)

MEK or acetone

I work in heavy aircraft overhaul...Pro seal on everything every day...clean it with MEK OR ACETONE..Home Depot aviation supply. It won't hurt the seal,and will evaporate. Just clean it and be done.

Thanks, Bill. I'm averse to MEK, so Acetone it is.

BTW, I know where Advance is. We lived in Clemmons for four years back in the 80's. Good to meet you, and thanks again for the help.

Jim, I second Bills comments.

First of all, the solvent really won't seep into the very small gap under the rivet head and next to the skin.

Second, even if it did you would only end up with an ever so slightly longer cure time.

:) CJ

I agree

I agree with everyone's comments. I did however wait about a week, then used a terry cloth wet with acetone with a little elbow grease.