flyenforfun

Well Known Member
Looking for some suggestions from everyone. We picked up our -8 from the paint shop about a month ago. I know the paint is still new and probably soft because it has been in the 30s all month, but a hammerhead the other day resulted in a ton of oil all the way down the belly of our airplane.

Wanted to know what I can use to clean all of this off the paint. Something safe for paint and clear coat and gentle enough to not harm a new paint job. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

-Matt

Cleaner

Sparton SD 20 ,an aerosol spray , get it at the local janitorial supply . Cleans oil , grease etc. with no residue .
Tom

come on down to florida and cure that paint. its in the upper 70's tonight. then we can clean up that rv before we go to sebring wednesday morning.
img0940cp.jpg

My painter was very specific when he said NOT to use dish soap on my paint. He said it was too abrasive.

Call your painter.

I did call the painter, but as expected he hasn't answered or called me back. I've already paid him so he wants nothing to do with me. This is in line with the quality of the work he did.. I was told in the beginning he was using DuPont, but I never received the logbook entry I asked for.

test some of your ideas on the bottom of the belly first. i dont see how mild soap can hurt. mineral spirits either. :)

Auto paint?

If the painter used DuPont, then anything you would use on a car will be fine. Mineral Spirits will not harm the paint, and will take the oil off quickly.

As for dish soap being abrasive, I call BS on that statement. There is a GOOP version that is abrasive - stay away from that one (pumice). The Old style GOOP (white creamy stuff) is good for cleaning bellies, but wipe the oil off with a paper towel 1st.

Once the paint gets a bit older, you can use "Blue Wing Solvent", direct from the quick drains.:D

Carry on!
Mark

yeah I call B.S too, dawn has zero abrasives but it does have excellent oil and grease inhibitors that will encapsulate and remove.

bird

Goop cream not the gritty stuff works great and won't hurt your paint. It smells good too....