aparchment

Well Known Member
I plan on putting the Classic Aero seats in my plane, and I am wondering who made a choice between the Aviator seats and the Sportsman seats, and why you chose what you did.

The Sportsman seats are lighter and less expensive, but they don't have an external lumber support adjustment, don't seem to have as pronounced side bolsters and don't use as much confor foam.

Thanks for the input.

They are both good.

I plan on putting the Classic Aero seats in my plane, and I am wondering who made a choice between the Aviator seats and the Sportsman seats, and why you chose what you did.

The Sportsman seats are lighter and less expensive, but they don't have an external lumber support adjustment, don't seem to have as pronounced side bolsters and don't use as much confor foam.

Thanks for the input.

I have the Sportsman package for my plane. While the Aviator package is extremely nice, I chose the Sportsman for cost/weight reasons. I wanted a "go" plane, not a show plane. :) The Sportsman seats are quite comfortable, even on long flights. The lumbar adjustment is pretty simple, you just have to reach behind the seat while on the ground.

The Aviator side panels are definitely very classy looking.

YMMV. Whatever you choose, you will get excellent customer service. One of the few vendors I recommend without reservation.

I chose the Aviator bottoms and Sportsman backs. Saves most of the cost difference and gives the slightly better feel of the Aviator. Also have the Aviator side panels--just to classy looking to ignore.

Bob Kelly

I have the Sportsman and they are very comfortable. Whatever you go with get them in the ultra leather. It looks, feels and even smells like real leather and is way more durable. I have the cloth inserts also and it makes it nice for both hot and cold days. Don

I have the Sportsman and they are very comfortable. Whatever you go with get them in the ultra leather. It looks, feels and even smells like real leather and is way more durable. I have the cloth inserts also and it makes it nice for both hot and cold days. Don

We have the Sportsman leather, and color coordinated towels (probably from Walmart) to step on, and sit...

L.Adamson --- RV6A

Own the aviators and have flown the sportsman too. They are both comfortable. The aviators are just a few steps up in the comfort level as well as looks. Kinda like toyota to mercedes.

Good Input - Summary So Far

This is good input guys.

Here is what I am seeing so far:

Sportsman
Pros -- weight, price,
Cons -- Slightly less comfortable, less accessible lumbar support (sounds marginally less)

Aviators
Pros -- look nicer (I can't tell the difference from the pics), slightly more comfortable, more pronounced side bolsters.
Cons -- weight, price

I am going to ask the manufacturer to weigh in on this too.

I have to say, I don't get the Toyota/Mercerdes distinction. I can't visibly tell the difference between the Sportsmans and the Aviatiors. Perhaps a better analogy would be Mercedes v. Audi ;-)

Thanks everyone.

Sportsman seats, Aviator side panels

For the cabin, I chose Sportsman seats and Aviator side panels. I think it will look just as classy, cost less, and weigh less than a Aviator package. I felt it was a good compromise. And I get to use the seat backs I have already fabricated.

I purchased carpet for both the cabin and baggage compartment, but no baggage side panels. I may leave them out and get only a tonneau cover, saving more weight.

My seats just arrived last week, absolutely wonderful product.

I will add my vote for the ultra leather------costs less, and wears better than the stuff from a cow. Plus, it stretches better, allowing a better fit with less puckering in the curved areas.

Whichever one you end up with, I am pretty sure you will be happy.

I've been flying the Aviator seats since June (63 Hrs) and I really like them. In the past, I had a lower back that needed the lumbar support so wanted the adjustable lumbar. I also liked the rounded top corners much better than the squared-off look. To offset the seat weight, I only installed the elbow rests and not the side panels.

Toyota vs. Mercedes

I have to say, I don't get the Toyota/Mercerdes distinction. I can't visibly tell the difference between the Sportsmans and the Aviatiors. Perhaps a better analogy would be Mercedes v. Audi ;-)

Perhaps he was referring to the fact that Toyotas are superior vehicles and a better value than Mercedes, albeit less likely to impress your snobby neighbors.

Tongue in cheek fellas, nobody get offended, please! :p For the record, I drive a Toyota, and am planning on Sportsman seats for the RV to save weight and cost. They are both excellent seats by all accounts.

It is a man made leather look alike.

We found out about it when we visited the shop at the Homecomming.

Cost is between cloth, and real leather, but it has a lot better wearing capability.

Kinda a distant cousin of Naugahyde------and light years ahead of it as far as quality goes.

Meets FAA flammability standards, BTW

Give them a call for more details.

Interesting. I've been in touch with CAD. They're sendnig me samples of the Ultra Leather. Most parts are a bit cheaper in Ultra Leather than real leather, except the Sportsman side panels. These are $849 in ultra leather! I'm going to order the sportsman basic package instead, and get some extra ultra leather to make my own simple side panels. They sell the fabric for $102/yd.
For those who have done this, would 1 yard be enough to do basic side panels?

What is this "Ultra Leather" ? I don't see it on the "material options" page on their website.

Check out http://www.ultrafabricsllc.com/fabrics/Ultraleather_details.asp. The product is Ultraleather (one word). We use it in Gulfstreams etc for headliners and such as they don't grow cows 30 feet long. :) It is a good aviation product, but we never use it for the seats. Our customers demand the real moo stuff. Great product, but it doesn't smell like the real deal.

Don