Yes good stuff

Top quality and design; highly recommend. As far as comfortable yes. Is it as good as say a Lexus or your big-boy bark-O lounger recliner in your living room, no. First of all there's limits to any seat in a RV, size & angles. Their design is very thought out and construction is top notch.

Last edited:
For those of you that have the classic aero design seats, are the seats very comfortable?

I have had my Aviator seats in and out of the fuselage several times in order to fit various things (rudder pedal travel, stick position, etc). They're more comfortable than my chair at work!

mcb

I'm 6'1" tall. How high, approximately, do the seats lift you off the seat bottoms? I just want to make sue I'll have plenty of headroom.

Their Seats are great. I have flown 3+ hours in my 8 and they are VERY comforable, and very high quality. They come with 2 booster in case you ned them(but it sounds like you wont) Also come with really nice stick boots.
Al Grajek

Absolutely

After my wife and I spent two days in the seats (each way) to and from Oshkosh, we were both impressed how good these seats are. As far as headroom, we're all built a little differently, but in all seating positions, I have sufficient headroom for Lightspeeds. Bose Headsets require less clearance, but I wear Halos now, so no factor.

Seat Thickness

I'm 6'1" tall. How high, approximately, do the seats lift you off the seat bottoms? I just want to make sue I'll have plenty of headroom.

Hello. I have Sportsman leather seats, not aviators. They are quite comfortable. I am 6'2" and about 262lbs (at the current time). I have an RV7A. The seat bottom raises me about 2.5 to 3 inches at first, then settles in to about 2 inches (or so). It is quite comfortable.

What is a bit of a problem is the seat back cushion. I did not get a specially made one and it is just a wee bit too thick. Makes me sit too upright and I have to slouch to clear the canopy. If I ever build another one, I'll make darn sure that the pilot can sit comfortably. :)

I understand that Anna can custom fit the rear cushions for "tall pilots", etc.

YMMV,
Joe Portman

They look nice but for $2330 they better come with a h@ppy ending on every flight.

No joke! Man, have their prices gone up over the last couple of years; even the cloth seats (RV-8) are up to $2100 when the armrests are included. I guess I got lucky buying mine fairly early in the project in May, 2004... the price then was $1100, including the armrest kit. I'll tell ya what though, they're worth every penny of 1100 bucks; at 200+ hrs with a few 6+ hr days in the seat, I love my seats.

I have their seats and they are very good. I am 6"2" and I sent the pilots side back and had them remove 1/2 of pading on the seat and also on the back rest. Now they are even better. Wearing a regular head set I still have 1 or more inches of overhead space to the canopy.

I fly an -7. I'm 6'5" 225 lbs. I had my seat backs and bottoms cut down a bit. Wearing Bose headsets, I have plenty of headroom between the canopy and the headset band. On two-hour legs I have not experienced any discomfort from the seats.

I happen to have an alternate set of Oregon Aero seats and, while the seats are marginally more comfortable over long distances, the seats did not provide me sufficient head room. Sitting up straight, even mild bumps would have the headbands knocking up against the canopy.

The Classic Aero interiors are first rate in all respects. I've been very satisfied with the product and the service. I bought the sportsman model because if gave me a bit more room.

Whooooomp !!!!

I wouldn't overlook the flammability issue when choosing seats in the Experimental category. If a builder purchases seats from Oregon Aero or Classic Aero he will normally be buying material that meets or exceeds FAR 25.853 (FAA flammability requirement).

You can buy cheaper RV seats from other sources but invariably that cheap price simply reflects the fact that the fabric they use is very cheap auto fabric and will comply with nothing more than the auto fire standards of FMVSS-302. In essence that means the fabric will have a very rapid spread of flame and will produce copious quantities of smoke. And being synthetic it will melt and drip onto your skin when it ignites.

seats

I have the Classic Aero full boat interior package in my 9A. 4.1 grand I believe. Super is all I can say. I have the Sportsman Seats with mine, and they are very comfortable, and the interior looks like a little BMW. It's one of those things that cost WAY to much, and is worth every penny. Went way outside my budget with this purchase, and I am glad I did. I have discovered that an airplanes comfort is a very important factor not fully considered when all of that rivet banging is going on. Just remember, your butt is going to be planted in that Bird for 2 or 3 hours at a time. I also suspect the resale value will be a factor you should consider.

Zero Regrets on this purchase!!

Regards...Chris

Just Arrived

I just recieved my new RV-8 Sportsman seats from Classic Aero Designs. I went with the cloth/vinly package. The seats look great and I am very happy with them. For me, this package was a great way to keep the price down ($889).

The service was second to none as well.

Paul

RV-8 Finishing Kit
Calgary, AB

Vans foam

I am having them cover the Vans foam for the seats, at 6' 3" will I have a headroom issue in my -7 slider??. They are doing the seats as we speak.:eek:

I am having them cover the Vans foam for the seats, at 6' 3" will I have a headroom issue in my -7 slider??. They are doing the seats as we speak.:eek:

Without the seat pan wedge, and perhaps the extra 1" cushion, you should be okay. I had the Van's foam, but ended up with the Sportsman seats. It doesn't appear, that they add much thickness to the foam core. I'm 6' 1 1/2", and the 7 has a bit more head room than the 6, as I remember.

BTW --- will you have the seats back in time, for the 24th... :)

L.Adamson

24th and headset jacks

BTW --- will you have the seats back in time, for the 24th... :)

L.Adamson

Larry, No they are supposed to ship early Dec as is my Dynon HS34. :(

With respect to the headset jacks I have the same issue but I think you can cut holes for them in the side panels, I plan to put them where Rick Galati put his and make a plate that will go on the outside of the side panel

My leather Sportsman seats were supposed to ship in early December but were just delivered yesterday. Seems they are moving the factory and are trying to get as much of the back log out as possible. Give Anna Sutherland a call and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, finishing everything up