Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
Getting ready to rivet the hinges to the floor/seat pans...I have the Classic Aero Aviator seats, and I *vaguely* remember someone somewhere saying that a slightly different set of locations than the Van's plans worked better?

Anyone have any comments or experience here? Do the "stock" locations work fine, or did you adjust them somewhat if you have the CAD Aviator seats?

TIA!

Steve

It's probably one of those "that depends" situations, since it really comes down to your own body geometry, as well as where you place the pedals.

In my case I'm 6' with a 34" inseam. Pedals in my RV-7 are mounted as far forward as they will go. My Aviator seats work well for me in the middle (stock; my fuselage is a quickbuild and I didn't mess with the hinges) position. I am not using the seat back support- the seat back rests directly on the bulkhead crossmember. I also discovered that I needed seat wedges under my butt to get me high enough, due to my relatively short torso.

YMMV, all caveats and provisos apply, etc.

Same here pedals as far forward and the seat hinges are where vans says to put them. No problems yet but I need some wedges as well.

-david

I don't think the issue was related to the Aviators

I *vaguely* remember someone somewhere saying that a slightly different set of locations than the Van's plans worked better?
Steve

I could be wrong here but I think the alternative hinge position had to do with interference between hinge rivets and seat pan - seat rib rivets rather than the type of seatback used. The CAD Aviator seats are a drop-in replacement so should have an identical mounting system.

In my case I stuck with the standard location for the pivot lines but I know I had to do some of the hinges differently. IIRC, I placed the flange of both aft-most hinges behind the pivot line (back to front), having checked that it would not cause any interference with the bottom angle of the standard seat back and that you could still get the pins in/out.

I am not at my project just now so please check this information before using it.