Russ McCutcheon

Well Known Member
Just wondering who I got tangled up with flying the unpainted RV-4 over Clark County today?

It was fun, if your on here drop me a line some time:D

Last edited by a moderator:
It?s a rear thing for me to be flying solo these days but this fine Thursday would be the last of the good weather hear in the NW for about the next week or 6 months so I ran to the airport in the late afternoon on my own. I was trotting along easy headed north at about Ridgefield when I saw him, Another RV-4 with no paint cross to the east about 100 feet above me and off my nose, I thought should I run him down or just go on, I decided to run him down, I pushed the prop and throttle up to 25? and 2550rpm, made a climbing right turn and was coming up on his six fast, I past him on the left at about 100 yards and waved as I went buy, I was moving at 200mph or so and pulled up and to the left, looking back down at him over my tail I see him coming after me but he had no chance as I had the speed and altitude advantage, I twisted back around and down behind him again then back up above then he started a turn to the left, I swung back down behind him for a few more shots, I past him, waved and we parted ways. Good fun:D

For those that might wonder, we were both solo, above 1500? AGL, No RV-4s where harmed, no real bullets;)

For those that might wonder, we were both solo, above 1500? AGL, No RV-4s where harmed, no real bullets;)

This is the story that probably gets told around the airport :D

Russ's friend: No, he was man. It was a really great move. He was inverted.
Airport guy 2: You were in a 4g inverted dive with a RV-4?
Russ: Yes, ma'am.
Airport guy 1: At what range?
Russ: Um, about two meters.
Russ's friend: It was actually about one and a half I think. It was one and a half. I've got a great Polaroid of it, and he's right there, must be one and a half.
Russ: Was a nice picture.
Russ's friend: Thanks.
Airport guy 1: Eh, Russ, what were you doing there?
Russ's friend: Communicating.
Russ: Communicating. Keeping up VAF relations. You know, giving him the bird!
Russ's friend: [Airport guy 1 looks puzzled, so Russ's friend clarifies] You know, the finger
Airport guy 1: Yes, I know the finger.
Russ's friend: I-I'm sorry, I hate it when it does that, I'm sorry. Excuse me.