RV7Guy

Well Known Member
Well I was fortunate to win my Fantasy Football league which provided me with enough revenue to purchase a headset from Clarity Aloft. www.clarityaloft.com

For those not familiar this is a very small light weight headset with the individual earpiece speakers. I was interested because of our AZ heat. Conventional headsets become hot and uncomfortable in a short period of time.

I've now got about 4 hours of use in my 7 and absolutely love them. Communications both transmitting and receiving is much clearer. Also, overall excellent sound dampening is great. The first thing I noticed is I had to turn down the volume on all of the radios. My XM radio now has plenty of volume. With conventional headsets the volume was marginal.

Most importantly, I can now wear a large hat for sun protection. Having had some minor bouts with skin cancer this is very important to me.

If you are in the market for a headset or just looking for a change give these a look.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
RV-7 N717EE

thanks for the great report darwin! i've been considering one of the lightweight headsets for a while now, and i keep hearing good things about the clarity aloft. just might have to get me one of those!

Hey Darwin, Those look pretty cool!

I had a pair of earbud speakers from Radio Shack which worked on a similar principle of the expanding foam design. I used them with my MP3 while snowmobiling. It attenuated the outside noise marvelously, but was hard to assemble and get comfortable with.

Of course, when one is sledding you have a helmet and a liner to deal with and occasionally people want to talk with you and it is hard to communicate, so I would only rig up like this when riding alone and for long distances.

In the plane, would/are you inclined to use them even for the short hops? Are they easy to get comfortable in? For a short hop, are you likely to just grab a headset and go?

:) CJ

Clarity Aloft

Captain_John said:
Hey Darwin, Those look pretty cool!

In the plane, would/are you inclined to use them even for the short hops? Are they easy to get comfortable in? For a short hop, are you likely to just grab a headset and go?

:) CJ

This will be my number one headset. The ear pieces are very soft and are quite comfortable. The lightweight, freedom of movement and head heigth advantage are great. Also forgot, this company is great to deal with. Nice people with very fast service.

There is a 30 day money back gaurantee so you can try them and if you don't like them, send them back. Doubt you'll do that.

After 3100 hours of flying with most of that in helicopters this headset is nirvana!!!! BTW, I understand the Coast Guard went to these for their helo pilots.

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ
RV-7 N717EE