humptybump

Well Known Member
I've been flying with my Clarity Aloft for about 8 months now and have tried a few different options for the replacement ear tips. Ime sure others have gone thru this excercise and others eventually will so I ought I'd share my notes. Here is the condensed version (normalized to a score of 100) ...

Clarity Aloft with original foam eartips ? 100
David Clark 13.4 with gel ear cups ? 85
Clarity Aloft with Radian custom molded ear plugs ? 80
Clarity Aloft with Etymotic triple flange ear tips ? 95

The full write up is here.

photo2-320x239.jpg

Shure rubber trees

Humpty,

I have been using the Shure rubber trees for years now. I think they might be the same (or similar) as the Etymotics. I love them too - clean them when they need it and they seem to last forever.

Here is where I found them cheapest:

http://goo.gl/hHqjj

The rubber tips remove the only drawback to to the CA headset, the cost of the tips!

Pete, those Shure tips look just about the same (the stems are a little longer which shouldn't make a difference).

I concur - the tripple flange tips are a simple and convenient "upgrade" :)

8 months and you already need new eartips? Wow.

I have had mine for a couple of years and use them for work, and my personal flying. I am only on my 3rd pair of tips in about 800 hours taking them in and out a few times a flight. They get beat up more going in and out of the case.

I am very careful about how I compress them before inserting, but that is mostly so I do not twist the wire and break it. I will also admit that I am obsessive compusive about cleaning my ears. Tips really do not change color over time, the outer slick part starts to degrade and become more porus or breaks down. That is how I know it is time to replace them.

I will look into the tree types when I need to order more. I'm guessing in a year or two.

Mark

Last edited:
After using my Clarity Aloft Headset for the better part of 4 years... I have standardized on their XL ear tips (now they are Black Color ear tips). The XL size used to be a lighter color and a different shape that both the Gray Standard and the Slim ear tips. This past year I noticed that Clarity Aloft came out with their XL tips in black and contour shaped like the other available ear tips. The XLs are GREAT. They are a little quieter than the Gray standard ear tips and I don't notice any uncomfortable feeling because they are little larger than the gray standard size. The black color also does not show the dirt... I highly recommend trying them.:)

Victor

Not to be too disgusting but my problem with foam tips is the dirty issue of ear wax. The triple flange cleans easily.

Not to be too disgusting but my problem with foam tips is the dirty issue of ear wax. The triple flange cleans easily.

Maybe if you cleaned your ears.....

Just teasing. I'm sure I spend what I save on Q-tips. My GF says my Q-tip usage borders on a mental illness....

Mark

I have small ears and use the smaller pink/peach tips. they work better for me than the larger ones as the larger ones tend to fall out of my ear. I DO recommend being VERY careful with the speaker/wire. If there is a weak point about these headsets, that is it. I had to have my right ear speaker replaced. $75 bucks. But they did send me a slick new case that is much nicer than the original.

I have large ear canals. I've been using the Etymotic tripple flange for about four months now and been happy. However, I find I am pushing them in to get them to stay and stay quiet.

I recently found a larger size tripple flange from MEElectrontcs. The only drawback is that the tubular opening is bigger than the Etymotics. So, I took a used set of the original Clarity Aloft foam ear tips and salvaged the center tube. After inserting the salvaged type into the larg tripple flange, the are working very well for me.

Clarity Aloft Headset

My wife is the reason we have the Clarity Aloft headsets. (keeps her hair OK)

I love these headsets. 6 hour flying days in hot country SoCal I am only on my Second C/A XL foam inserts in over 4 years. I forget headsets are even involved.

The triple flange inserts are easy to clean and are used by the military for decades with success. I find the foam C/A inserts are superior for long use.

As for cleaning: Q-tips (before use) are in my headset bag along with a microfiber rag (after use) wipe off. Time involved-seconds, not minutes.

Don't leave on the dash like a standard headset. Two issues: 1) sun damage to the foam inserts. 2) Theft, getting worse.