Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Clarification on the whether the Tip-up canopy side skins (flush or not)

The plans and manual calls out the canopy side skins to be flush with the fuselage side skins. However the tip-up forward skin (F-702) rests on the F-768 outboard sub-panel flange which places this skin .032 protruding above the fuselage side skin. In addition, at the aft end of the canopy frame the canopy side skin should line up with the F-774 aft top skin, which is also protruding above the fuselage side skin.

Am I missing something? For those who have come before me chime in with your thoughts. My inclination is to just set the canopy side skins to protrude .032 about the fuselage side skins and be done with it.

Please advise.

Paul

My understanding is all skins perfectly flush, no overlap, no protrusion. This is what I am attempting to build. As per plans.

Can't have it both ways

Scott and Paul,
I think you are trying too hard. You cannot have it both ways, ie flush with the fuselage side and flush with the rear deck and front deck skins.

Here is some pics of my end result.
I went flush with the Foreskin and flush with the side deck at the rear which gave a very slight curve where it ran up onto the roll bar.
Pete.

http://img367.imageshack.us/my.php?image=inflightfodrivex19ne.jpg

Not sure exactly where you are referring to but heres the front and rear side views of mine. There should be a slight gap between the skins when the canopy is latched closed. Hope this helps.

-Jeff

FUSELAGE%20391.jpg

FUSELAGE%20402.jpg