gblwy

Well Known Member
Rotax sourced elsewhere - Clamp Block

Hi,

I seem to be missing the "Clamp Block" from the firewall forward kit. It doesn't seem to have a Vans part number, so I wondered if it was part of the Rotax engine. As I purchased the engine in the UK, this seems possible, but unlikely.

Can anyone throw any light on how they found their part? It doesn't appear to be referenced in the Vans inventory, or as a Rotax spare.

Thanks...Keith

Last edited:
Rotax flexible fuel line

Thanks Ron.

I'm now starting to regret sourcing an engine in the UK.

It appears that the clamp block and associated banjo bolt hardware is part of an optional flexible fuel line kit, which Vans must have specified for their engines.

In addition to the stuff clamped to the compensation tube there are fuel lines coming from the carbs (mine has none), and a line from the fuel pump. This is crimped on to the pump.

To make my engine "look like" Vans' I'll need both the flexible fuel line kit, and a replacement fuel pump with fuel lines attached.

There's a further possible complication. The banjo bolts in Vans' plans don't match those on the Rotax optional kit. Don't know if Rotax changed their parts list, or Vans installed different bolts, to suit their changed configuration.

Caveat Emptor!

Cheers...Keith

Rotax sourced elsewhere

Hi,

Vans came back to me really quickly, for which I am very grateful considering I stepped outside the box to save on shipping and taxes.

Apparently the Rotax model Vans supply is a 912 ULS 2. I believe the "2" relates to the heavy duty starter and the slipper clutch. I think these are default offerings now.

For reasons I don't yet understand it also includes the flexible fuel line package and the "certified" fuel pump and crimped fuel lines. These were missing from the new engine I obtained in the UK. Maybe a US-specific option?

Anyone looking to source elsewhere should check that the flexible fuel line Rotax part no 874910 has been installed, as has the new fuel pump (part 892546).

The retro-upgrade to the flexible fuel line package is part 881980.

This is my current understanding. Please do your own homework.

I am going to have to part with more than $1000 for these two options (anyone want a fuel pump?) and my project will likely be delayed by more than a month :-(

In the light of current information the Vans offering is competitive, so folk looking elsewhere may wish to reconsider - unless you are going with a secondhand unit.

I'm now in for more than $90,000, 1300 hours, and counting on both scores...and I have still to sample one of these aircraft ;-)

Cheers...Keith

For reasons I don't yet understand it also includes the flexible fuel line package and the "certified" fuel pump and crimped fuel lines. These were missing from the new engine I obtained in the UK. Maybe a US-specific option?

I believe this is part of what makes the engine ASTM compliant. I would bet that your engine doesn't have the big white ASTM compliant sticker on the top of the gear box. I mentioned in an old thread more than a year ago that RV-12 builders looking elsewhere for an engine should make sure it is an ASTM compliant version to assure that it would be compatible with the RV-12 kit.

Have you looked at your oil tank yet? Does it have UNF fittings for connecting standard aircraft style oil hoses? If not, then you will need a different oil tank and some new fittings for the engine as well.

More questions

HI,

I do have the white ASTM-compliant sticker, so I'm not convinced of the reasoning. However if that's the way it is I'll have to upgrade my engine to suit. My oil tank seems to be compatible with Vans-supplied hoses.

Gus from Vans sent me the first page (one of two) of a PDF file listing what they order.

Seems like they order a "912 ULS 2 engine", whatever that is. There's no reference to the flexible fuel line option, not to the upgraded fuel pump, so I assume these must now be "standard". They do specify:

1. An adaptor underneath the block (seems like a chunky part to change)
2. 45 degree water pump outlets (which match mine)

The order also includes:

1. A coolant bottle
2. Oil radiator set (though part numbers don't agree with plans) with UNF hardware
3. Air filters

Can anyone with a Vans engine please confirm that there are two hoses already attached to the fuel pump (as the engine was delivered)? This upgraded module is the bit that is irritating. A replacement pump is $700.

Thanks...Keith

Last edited: