Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
Well after a few months of alluding to a new airplane that they have been calling the Cirrus Killer, Cessna has apparently done a fly by with it at Oshkosh. What caught my eye is how RV-A like the nose gear is on this new airplane. I was wondering if Cessna plans to kill Cirrus's by flipping upside down and squishing them? :D Couldn't resist.

Sorry about the link. I didn't watch the video's until checking back on the direction of this post. Here is another link that is a little more appropriate for these forums. :eek:

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/12_30b/briefs/cessna_ngp_192787-1.html

Last edited:
Cessna nose gear

All kidding aside I'd like to see the nose gear leg up close and see just how the thing is designed. I was truly surprised to see this arangement on a Cessna.

Bryan Wood said:
...I was truly surprised to see this arangement on a Cessna.

Well, the Van's design has some truly big advantages over the traditional Cessna oleo strut. You ever had to mess with one of those things? Hard to get the right amount of gas and to keep it from leaking out and a true pain to rebuild.

It makes me really appreciate the Van's, stick of steel, design, although I don't have to deal with the nose gear in my taildragger six.

My buddies with piper oleos on the mains are always having to mess with them. I just kind of chortle to myself.

Wow, after rebuilding a few cessna nosegears in my day, they seem really easy. On the other hand, never having to dick with them at all is even easier. And I really like free-castoring nosewheels as long as the brakes hold up.

Why Not?

Maybe Cessna finally realized that the steerable nosewheels on their singles don't work for anything but the most shallow of turns?

In their defense, they do work a ton better than the Piper Arrow I'm flying right now... most people that say they don't work well are flying aircraft with worn out bungee's from 30+ years of flying.

osxuser said:
In their defense, they do work a ton better than the Piper Arrow I'm flying right now... most people that say they don't work well are flying aircraft with worn out bungee's from 30+ years of flying.

That's 'cause you need to add a bit of power in the flare, to keep that Arrow's nose from slamming down! :D

L.Adamson RV6A

Yeah, try nailing down your landing spot in a 180? power off landing from the right seat in an 1968 Arrow I that isn't rigged well... and my checkride is in two weeks.. :eek: