alpinelakespilot2000

Well Known Member
See update in post #7--I may have jumped the gun a bit on this question.

A bit embarrassed by this one...

Are there supposed to be circular clips holding the bearings in the main gear wheels? When I originally built my wheels up, none came with my wheels. For some reason, while otherwise following Van's directions, I missed the note indicating that "circlip" retainers are used to hold the bearings in. Well, I've been flying now about 80 hours with the bearings held in place simply with the spacers and the axel nut appropriately tightened and cotterpinned.

1. Even though my wheel kit seems to have come without them, should I have these circlip retainers?

2. Assuming yes, can I get them locally at a NAPA or something, or do I have to try to order them through Parker Hannafin? Any idea what size I would need?

3. Have I likely done damage to the bearings over the past 80 hours by not having clips installed?

It's amazing what one learns doing the first condition inspection. Learning more than when I built the thing! :eek:

Last edited:
I do believe they should have clips. Mine did.
_DSC0419.JPG

Can't tell you where to get me though.:(

Thanks Tony. Do you have any thin washers that sandwich the felt or just a single spacer for each side of the wheel outboard of the felt? Looks like the latter (as is the case with me) but am not sure of what I'm seeing.

A bit embarrassed by this one...

Are there supposed to be circular clips holding the bearings in the main gear wheels? When I originally built my wheels up, none came with my wheels. For some reason, while otherwise following Van's directions, I missed the note indicating that "circlip" retainers are used to hold the bearings in. Well, I've been flying now about 80 hours with the bearings held in place simply with the spacers and the axel nut appropriately tightened and cotterpinned.

1. Even though my wheel kit seems to have come without them, should I have these circlip retainers?

2. Assuming yes, can I get them locally at a NAPA or something, or do I have to try to order them through Parker Hannafin? Any idea what size I would need?

3. Have I likely done damage to the bearings over the past 80 hours by not having clips installed?

It's amazing what one learns doing the first condition inspection. Learning more than when I built the thing! :eek:

.... I have several sets of bearings, seals washers clips and all that we remove when doing our wheel bearing up-grades. If you send me your info I can forward a set to you on Monday or Tuesday. sent to [email protected] Thanks, Allan...:D

If they are Cleveland wheels you should have the following:
Inner side - 2 thin discs on either side of a felt washer?
Outer side - 1 thin disc and a cup with the felt inside. The cup goes toward the nut.

There should be a circlip on both sides.

Last edited:
OK-For the life of me I cannot remember installing the circlips. However, I have pictures in my build file that show circlips on the bench during the wheel build. Maybe it's just the floating spacers that have me confused about what's fixed in place and what's not. I'm also curious if my felts are sandwiched like Dave mentions.

I guess I need to take the wheels off before I now for sure what I've got. The only reason I asked this question before doing so is because I want to know what I need to pick up before doing my bearing cleaning/packing. I want to be able to get the wheels back on right away so I can move my plane around in the hangar so others can get in and out.

Thanks for the comments, even if I might have jumped the gun a bit with my question.