Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
Friend
How many ways have you protected the thermocouple wire and extensions between the bayonet fitting/spring strain relief and the firewall. Silicone coated glass sleeve looks like an option but it only comes in 100' rolls ! Any suggestions are appreciated...Larry

Ditto

I am at the same point. My bonanza has what looks like fiberglass fire sleeve. I have been looking for a source or other ideas as well.

I installed a couple of adel clamps on each side using the case bolts, then carefully clocked the EGT probes to avoid other "stuff". On #3 I used a couple of wraps of silicone tape (sticks to itself) to tie the wire to an intake tube that I just couldn't avoid. I also safety wired the gear clamps, just because of the temperature cycling.

I did not use any other coatings...

You can just make out the probes in these pictures if you look carefully...

Routing

Related question, for those who routed EGT probes along with sparkplug wires for a short distance along the cylinders, do you have any problems with unstable readings?

Didn't know that needed protection. What's the down side?

Generally speaking EGT/CHT wires already use high temp materials due to the environment they work in, the only protection they really need is chafe protection. The wires carry no current so the result of a wire fault will simply be an erroneous reading.
If you route them so they are not to close to an exhaust pipe they will be fine. If using a hight temp fire sleeve makes you feel better then by all means do it, but it may be a bit of overkill.

Split Techflex works great and is inexpensive.

Roundit is very nice stuff and is used on newer high end aircraft. I am inclined to think that Roundit would soak up oil.