JonJay

Well Known Member
A question came up in another related post but I thought I would start a new thread. The question related to CHT spread and performance.
I wanted to solicit some feedback from the vast network of all knowing RV folks.
My original thought was that CHT spread did not affect performance. However, this may not be correct when it comes to climb performance or the ability to sustain a climb before power reduction and/or attitude adjustment is necessary to deal with a CHT limit.
My EMS data indicates that CHT's are pretty consistent through climb and cruise. The hottest cylinder is always the hottest, the coldest same... I checked multiple flights at different times of year and this rings true with my set up.
Now, lets assume a spread of 20F (an acceptable number) at a high elevation airport, on a hot day, at gross, with obstacles ahead. If your CHT limit is set at 425F (set it at whatever you like), and you are taking action when a cylinder nears or reaches that limit, one or more other cylinders are still below that limit.
Assume that we have done all we can with our cooling system, baffling/plenum, exit, louvers, whatever, so we know we have the maximum amount of cooling possible, we are leaning properly, etc...
If we where able to redirect cooling air from the coolest cylinders to the warmest cylinders, moving the cooler ones up and the hotter ones down, we would be able to sustain our climb longer before any one cylinder reached its limit. Ideally they all reach the limit in roughly the same time.
If we stretch our CHT spread out farther, climb performance or the ability to sustain a climb suffers even more. It was suggested that 50-60 degrees spread might be acceptable. If any of the above makes sense, that kind of spread could be very limiting in climb performance.
So, can we conclude that CHT spread does affect performance?

I think you are trying to micro manage too much.

Get your baffling etc to work right so your cruise temps are 350F max in summer and 295-330f in winter and then your climb should not exceed 380ish.

Make sure your fuel flows are correct, at sea level it's Hp/10 in gph. Or within a few % of that. The typicalm2" spaced egt will be around the 1270-1300 mark if that is all good.

I could go on......:)

A bucker man I see......do you know a mate of mine from Georgia, Dr Tom?

I think you are trying to micro manage too much.

Get your baffling etc to work right so your cruise temps are 350F max in summer and 295-330f in winter and then your climb should not exceed 380ish.

Make sure your fuel flows are correct, at sea level it's Hp/10 in gph. Or within a few % of that. The typicalm2" spaced egt will be around the 1270-1300 mark if that is all good.

I could go on......:)

A bucker man I see......do you know a mate of mine from Georgia, Dr Tom?

No doubt, but my climbs exceed 400F even in 45F weather if I dont pull power or lower the nose. I tested my full power "take-off" EGT's and they are 125F-150F ROP, so I am not running too lean by that measure (according to the Siverhawk folks.) I will retest this and double check my fuel flow.
My cruise temps are well withing your range.
So, a more even spread does help me quite a bit, if my theory holds true, maybe worth a bit of "micro" managing in my case, but this is more to generate conversation.

I don't think I have met Dr. Tom. I know most of the West Coast Bucker folks but the East Coast guys rarely come to the annual fly in. It is a long way across the country in a Bucker!

I think your spread is reasonable, 20F is not much, so that is good, and cruise is good you say, so this has me more concerned......
No doubt, but my climbs exceed 400F even in 45F weather if I dont pull power or lower the nose. I tested my full power "take-off" EGT's and they are 125F-150F ROP, so I am not running too lean by that measure (according to the Siverhawk folks.) I will retest this and double check my fuel flow.

You should be able to climb at full power, and say 100-110 knots and not be busting 400F

Now you say this bit
I tested my full power "take-off" EGT's and they are 125F-150F ROP, so I am not running too lean by that measure
:eek::eek::eek:

How on earth did you determine this? :eek: Peak EGT at takeoff power settings is something I have never tried as it would be detonation city, but it would be in a typical 2" installation around 1650F I guess, so you say 150ROP is good.:eek:

That is fine at 70% power, not full rated.

If you want to discuss this properly, PM me and maybe we can have a skype call so I can explain it better.

I think your spread is reasonable, 20F is not much, so that is good, and cruise is good you say, so this has me more concerned......

You should be able to climb at full power, and say 100-110 knots and not be busting 400F

Now you say this bit :eek::eek::eek:

How on earth did you determine this? :eek: Peak EGT at takeoff power settings is something I have never tried as it would be detonation city, but it would be in a typical 2" installation around 1650F I guess, so you say 150ROP is good.:eek:

That is fine at 70% power, not full rated.

If you want to discuss this properly, PM me and maybe we can have a skype call so I can explain it better.

Well, my spread is actually 5 deg., the test was peformed per Silverhawks recommendations. They have you do a full power run up, lean to peak, and they consider 125-150F ROP to be correct. I dont think the short duration risks detonation. I would appreciate the help as I pour through my engine monitoring data as we speak. I think I should be the comedian Ron White's poster child - " you cant fix stupid"
I feel pretty frustrated and dumb right now.

This problem is new to the airplane. My cooling has never been great which prompted me to clean up my baffling. My cooling is better in cruise now but it was never terrible. My CHT's during climb have lowered but there is obviously something more than a baffling issue as it is tight as can be now.
The other symptom plauging me that somewhat correlate to the same time frame are a hot idle issue where the engine acts like you pulled the mixture, catches again and runs fine, repeat, etc... there is no roughness, just cuts off, then picks up again, only when the engine is warmed up, not on initial taxi. Runs fine otherwise.

I am setting up a test to see if I might be sucking air somewhere into the fuel system. I have gone through all the fittings and can find no leaks. So, if I am sucking air, do all these symptoms including the CHT's make sense?

I will pm you and appreciate the help but for the benefit of the group I thought I would share the whole story first. This thread has drifted way off its original intent so I apologize to the group.
Phew, tired now.

Thanks