FORANE

Well Known Member
My 9A has an O-320. I noticed it quit charging and upon investigation discovered the alternator was at fault. The alternator it had was a Chrysler number 3656624 which is a 60 amp aircraft alternator. Here is a pic:
ei4j2f.jpg

and the back:
2mrw5jt.jpg

I did a little research and discovered that an 83 Dodge Charger has a 65 amp alternator part number P7546-ESP which looks exactly like the aircraft version.

The voltage regulator I am using is the P8-405 pictured here:
fxaqnq.jpg

On the regulator, the blade connector goes to the ignition and the post terminal goes to the field on the alternator. The only difference (in terms of wire connections) between the aircraft alternator part number 3656624 and the 83 Dodge Charger 65 amp alternator part number P7546-ESP is the field posts on the alternator. Read below (which I found elsewhere on the net):

In 1970 Mopar switched from an analog type voltage regulator to a transistorized regulator. The basic circuit is completely different. Before the voltage regulator monitored the (+) ignition voltage and opened/closed the (+) field circuit as needed to maintain a steady voltage. The 1970 design, instead, monitored the (+) field voltage and open/closed the (-) ground field as needed to maintain a steady voltage. To identify the (+) field circuit and (-) field circuit terminals on the alternator, look at the back of the alternator and put the "BATT" terminal at the 12 o'clock position. The two "FLD" terminals would appear as though they were at approximately the 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions. The terminal at 10 o'clock would be the (-) field circuit and 11 o'clock would be the (+) field circuit.

The aircraft alternator only required one field connection from the regulator which was to the 10 o'clock field post. The 83 Dodge Charger 65 amp alternator part number P7546-ESP required both the (+) field wire from the regulator to the 11 o'clock field post on the alternator and a ground wire connected to the 10 o'clock field post on the alternator.

I know others have used Honda or Suzuki alternators with good results but figured I would share the research I have done for others who may have a Chrysler alternator go out sometime down the road and research it here.