Darren S

Well Known Member
I have on order from Catto, a 2 bladed prop for my -7 project. He is providing me a prop extension, crush plate and a spinner. I asked if I could get a polished chrome spinner but they said No.

I am going to be polishing my -7 and painting the fiberglass tips Black as well as using some Black vinyl to dress up the plane.

I think a Chrome/Polished spinner would look nice along with all the other polished parts like the polished inlets on the SJ cowl.

Anyone know where I can get one that will work ?

I haven't seen many RV's with Chrome spinners. Is there a reason ?

Thanks,

Darren

I have a polished aluminum spinner on my 6A. They look good too. Mine isn't in production any longer.

L.Adamson

Polished ...

The majority of RV spinners are the Van's supplied fiberglass part, makes it tough to polish. :) My question would be if Catto is against the idea of anyone polishing their spinner, or if they just don't have a way to do it in house. You can do it yourself, it is just a time consuming and dirty job. Chrome plating is another issue, first it is difficult but not impossible to chrome plate aluminum, and it will be a different look than the polished aluminum on your airframe.

John Clark ATP, CFI
FAA FAAST Team Member
EAA Flight Advisor
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

Thanks for the help, I'll paint the fiberglass spinner if I have to but if I can get a chrome one I'll sent it to Craig to cut and mount for me. I still have a few weeks to keep hunting.

Darren

FYI, you can chrome almost anything. You'll probably want to take the cut-and-fit spinner Craig sends, and chrome that, rather than starting with an uncut spinner, having it chromed, and asking Craig to cut it afterwards. Cutting a chromed material will only ruin the chrome, as it will start to peel off around the cut.

Hey Darren take a look and see if I can help you out on that. I can do fiberglass, glass, plastic and more! It's not a paint This finish is the combination of special catalyzed base coatings a silver metal deposition..
Take a look Darren and see if this can help you out on chroming. Thanks!
http://www.onemagictouch.com/