Stupid chrome cylinders

I had my chrome cylinders honed and re-ringed before first flight. With low power taxiing and pattern flying in the early flight hours, I thought I had glazed the cylinders. My engine finally settled down to where it was burning a quart about every 3.5 to 4 hours. I finally decided I needed to hone and re-ring again to try and get my oil burn down. I have flown about 50 hours since the last ring job and am still burning about the same amount of oil. It is very frustrating. I will never have chrome cylinders again. Unfortunately Lycoming is the only source for new angle valve cylinders.

What is your oil usage?

Karl

Oil consumption

I've seen chrome cylinders burn 1 quart in three hours if they weren't broke in right. Even if they are properly seated, they always seem to burn more that plain barrels.

John

Ah, Chrome cylinders topic. Similar to prime vs no prime, tip-up vs slider.
Seriously chrome cylinders work great if broken in properly. However, they are more difficult to break in. They must be run VERY hard from the get-go. If they seat properly, you're good to go, if not, forget. And to add to the confusion, every shop has a different way of doing it, and their way is the ONLY way. Good Luck.

Check your engine log!

You might want to check your engine log and see what they did with the cylinders when it was rebuilt or what they say they did anyway. I know your engine had under 1000 hrs on it when it was redone by Ly Con. I had some engine work done at Ly Con once and would never do business with them again. I cought them in one lie after the next and they tried to overcharge me for work that they didn't even do. After much arguing, I went and picked up my engine and wrote them a certified letter offering to settle it in court. Never heard from them again. Something to consider?

My .02

Consumption on the 200HP Mooney and cardinals was always around a quart in 5 for most. Some did better but average was around that. These aircraft have fairly hot nacelles that preclude real efficient break in. Chrome cylinders on a 200HP Arrow always did much better (cooler nacelle) maybe a quart in 10 on average. I would hope on any fresh 200 HP cylinder installation you would end up with at least 1 qt in 5.
Chrome cylinders can take much longer to break in, as compared to the non- chrome barrel types. Sometimes as long as 75 hours of operation. If you are seeing any progress with consumption changing for the better over time, even by very small amounts , hang in there. Keep the CHT temps cool, especially in the climb and the power in the 65 to 75 percent range in cruise and it may yet come around. If you see absolutely no improvement over the next 25 hours you have likely glazed them and its time for re-ring and hone job.
Good Luck,
Mahlon
"The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at you own risk."

More than 6 quarts?

I have chrome jugs with no problem. Unless I add more than the 6 quarts.
That topic has been covered here before.