Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
I've been bouncing the idea around of putting tips on the Vetterman exhaust similar to this shape.
exhausttipio1.jpg

Instead of installing it so that the end turns down I'm thinking of installing it upside down of sorts so that the exhaust is angled back. In other words if the tip was installed as designed and then spun on the exhaust 180 degrees so that the slight J bend aims towards the rear.

Can chrome tips like this be welded to stainless? Probably won't happen, just trying to make a non shiny part of the plane look good and also aim the exhaust back in the process.

Best,

I have a pair very similar to these on my 6. I would argue against welding them on as the pair I have are starting to look pretty ratty. They're getting some corrosion at the tips, and in general are due for replacement (I just found a pair at AutoZone). They're held on with the set screw they come with, and I've never had one come loose.

Mine point down, just like in the photo.

Bryan Wood said:
I've been bouncing the idea around of putting tips on the Vetterman exhaust similar to this shape.

Cool tips.

I would vote no for two reason, more weight, more drag and cost (oh three reasons).

What is the benifit? You really can't see it when parked on the ground, unless you get under the plane. You really can't see it flying, at least from the cockpit. I shy away for looks only items and hold it against aerodynamic criteria and the KISS or KILL concept, Keep It Simple Stupid (me) or Keep It Light Lame-O (me again).

If you want a down turn have some 321 SS welded on and polish them.

In general any thing clamped on like that has a good chance of falling off. Don't ask how I know. :rolleyes: :eek: :D

gmcjetpilot said:
I would vote no for two reason, more weight, more drag and cost (oh three reasons).

:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Well George you have forced my hand with you well thought out points. While I agree with you about the weight, and appearance issues I need to do something. For about a year the idea of cutting my exhaust to reduce drag has been getting the better of me. Even with the input of others who had done it and recommended against, the lure of free speed finally got the better of me and I shortened them by about 3?.

As for the free speed? Maybe 3 knots if you look at the airspeed indicator optimistically. The penalty however is exactly what I was warned about which is a pounding on the bottom of the airplane and a generally less pleasant ride. It feels like the plane did before having the prop dynamically balanced, only worse.

With this in mind I?m looking for a fix, and a way to make the appearance better if possible, and to get the exhaust exiting towards the back of the plane. Tips similar to this could solve my issues. Other choices involve welding the pieces back on that I cut off, or new pipes. The cheapest and easiest way seems like the tips.

Best,

Last edited:
Pipe Extensions

I could use a set of extensions myself. I have an older exhaust system which came with shorter pipes than those supplied now.
I'd bet if someone could get in touch with Larry Vetterman he'd be willing to swedge up a couple of extensions that would slide right on to the existing pipes. A couple of stratigically placed nuts tig welded in place would allow the use of allen head set screws for securing them.
Anybody know how to get in touch with Larry?