cjensen

Well Known Member
I got an offer today to pursue a 360 with chrome cylinders. I had chrome cylinders in my Cherokee 140, but didn't really know the difference. What are the differences, and are they better? I've heard both ways. :confused:

I'm not really ready for an engine yet, but I thought I check in to it. My SB fuselage kit arrived today, so I am a ways from hanging an engine...

If the engine is a mid-time engine and is already broken-in, I would consider it. If it is a fresh overhaul or top overhaul, I would steer clear.

Chrome cylinders have a reputation for being very difficult to break-in. My engine needed some cylinder work when I bought it. I now have over 85 hours on it and still have high oil consumption. I even tore it back down, had the cylinders re-honed and new rings fit. Ran the engine hard (25/25) for over 20 hours and still have the high oil consumption. Noone can explain whats happening or how to fix it. Currently using a quart of oil every 3-4 hours.

I'm sure others have had better results but I will never have chrome cylinders again.

Karl

Like Karl says, if the rings seat properly with the cylinders, they hold up great. However, many times they just don't seat properly and yield high oil consumption forever.