Don

Well Known Member
After about 3 and half years of building over 9 years (life gets in the way sometimes) I think I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel. So, in January I finalized my avionics decisions, wrote Stein the biggest check I have personally ever written (GRT held the previous record <g>), and quit worrying about which GPS, which radio, and which transponder, etc.

Today UPS delivered three packages and it looks like everything arrived in excellent condition. I can't wait to start working on the panel (I'm a few weeks away yet). But for the curious, I put in what I thought I'd use to make my RV-9A the 'Traveller' I want (those familiar with the War Between the States should appreciate the name - especially one that will be based just outside of Richmond, VA). Supporting a dual Horizon EFIS (one HX, one HS) is a GTN 650 GPS-COM, an SL-40 second com, a GTX-330 transponder, and a GMA-240 intercom.

Since I'm interested in flying and not spending the rest of my life wiring this bird, I opted to get the VP-X pro and a FastStack hub with cabling pre-wired for my components.

Considering I had the most laid back December 25 Christmas of my life (enjoying the day with just the wife and nary a gift), these three packages make today seem like the more traditional gift oriented Christmas. I hope this doesn't come across as bragging - it's going to be a very nice panel but there are plenty of nicer and pricier panels around. I simply got what I wanted for a plane that I hope to fly the dickens out of. At some point (not in this thread) I'd like to have a serious discussion about redundancy. I am not planning on any steam gauges.

Now if I can just finish bending that *&^$ fool canopy frame and move on.

Are you going to let Traveler wander around the campus of Washington & Lee University like its namesake?

John Morgan:)

Season's Greetings!

Merry Christmas! :D
You should find some Christmas songs to play in your shop while you work on the panel! :cool: