AltonD

Well Known Member
I am considering installing the Christen 801 inverted oil system. Looking at drawings, it looks like everybody mounts the oil valve on the right side. There is no room there on my firewall. Can this valve and the separator tank be mounted on the left side? I have the stanard IO-360-M1B purchased from Van's.

One other queston: ACS is $430 cheaper than Vans. Is there any reason not to go with ACS?

As far as I know the answer to you question is yes. There are issues relative to the horizontal placement of the valve and tank relative to the oil sump and oil level in the sump but no requirements as to which side of the engine to mount them that I am aware of. Just need longer hoses over there......
Good Luck,
Mahlon
?The opinions and information provided in this and all of my posts are hopefully helpful to you. Please use the information provided responsibly and at your own risk."

From Ravens installation instructions:
Carefully plan the location of components and routing of hoses before you begin actual
installation. The following rules are critical to proper system performance:
? The Oil Separator must be mounted as high as possible. This ensures rapid emptying of
the separatgor following transition to normal flight.
? The bottom of the Oil Separator must be at least two inches above the top of the sump
and the centerline of the Oil Separator must be at least ten inches from the sump
centerline on the side of the engine opposite the oil return port on the sump. This
prevents oil loss during some maneuvers such as knife-edge flight.
? For horizontal-screen sump engines, the Oil Valve must be located such that its center
port is vertically aligned as close as possible with the sump screen access port, it can be
positioned any place horizontily on either side of the engine. For vertical-screen sump
engines, the Oil Valve must be aligned such that its center port is vertically aligned as
close as possible with the bottom surface of the sump. You can rotate the new adjustable
Raven oil valve so that the ports will line up to allow the easiest and shortest routing of
the hoses.
? The oil line fitting in the bottom of the Oil Separator must be either straight or 45-degree
to ensure rapid emptying of oil in the separator to the sump.
? Keep hose lengths to a minimum, however hose routing should be smooth and sweeping.
Avoid sharp bends which would collapse hose walls and restrict oil flow. However it is
best to have the valve located off to one side of the engines port to make installation of
those hoses easier
? The hose from the bottom of the Oil Separator must extend in a continuous downward
slope to the bottom of the sump. This ensures complete emptying of the separator.
? An appropriate breather fitting must be provided to permit connection of the breather
hose. Six cylinder engines normally use 1-inch diameter hose while four cylinder engines
use 3/4? , these can be reduced to 7/8? or 3/4? cylinder and 5/8? for 4 Cylinder engines if
there is no way possible to run the larger lines.