panhandler1956

Well Known Member
Anyone have any information on how to "chop" down the canopy on an RV-8? I like the lower canopy/wedge windshield (F-1 Rocket) look and I'm looking for detailed info. I've seen a couple of airplanes with this setup, but I can't find much info.

Thanks in advance!

Brent

Brent,

I have done a little research not that long ago about chopped canopies for
the RV-8 after I saw Steve Raddatz's beautiful RV-8 N678SR.

To see Steve's aircraft refer to this website under the RV of the week archives section. His is aircraft # 113.

http://www.vansairforce.net/rvoftheweek/rvotw_archives.htm

I did a search on these canopies and the most useful information I found was on a Yahoo RV message board.
Please find a link to this below:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/RV-8/message/1123

The message board mentions a company called Aero Plastics that supplies these canopies, they are also to the best
of my knowledge the same people who provide Vans for the "standard" canopies.

To get their details you would have to contact Vans as I have not done this as yet.

I hope this information is helpful.

Bruce Butler's -8

Thanks Andy, I appreciate your help. I also found Bruce Butler's airplane which is really chopped. Was wondering if anyone on here knew how to this installation works.

butler.jpg

78a.jpg

The "wedge" windscreen is available from Airplane Plastics, 937.669.2677, speak to Jeff or Becky. They are indeed the suppliers of Van's OEM canopies and are very nice folks to deal with. I've already purchased the windscreen and intend to use it whether or not I lower the canopy. Those of you who were at SWRFI this year got to see Lyle Hefel's plane with this windscreen on a standard height canopy. This was the plane that inspired me to pursue this mod. I'm still undecided about lowering the canopy, but only from the extra work standpoint - at 5' 8", I definitely won't have a head clearance problem. Due to the rake and extra thickness of this windscreen, I feel that it is certain to be more bird resistant as well.

Chopped canopy - extra work?

William Slaughter said:
This was the plane that inspired me to pursue this mod. I'm still undecided about lowering the canopy, but only from the extra work standpoint - at 5' 8", I definitely won't have a head clearance problem.
With me at 5' 6" and my wife at, oh 5' 1" or so we won't have any head clearance issues either. Quite the opposite I'd think. I'm intrigued by this mod, from a clearance and looks perspective. I'm looking at the FB mod too, and I wouldn't suppose the two are complimentary, so it would likely be an either or decision. How much work is likely to be involved in chopping the canopy down do you think?

Cheers,