AlexC.

Hello all!
I was planning on buying an RV-10 kit sometime within the next year. Before I do that, I would like to choose which engine I run in my RV-10 before I order the kit. I understand that the only engine that Vans supports in the RV-10 is the Lycoming IO-540.

Where my understanding of IO-540's falls apart is all the different, smaller companies like AeroSport Power and how they change the motor. If it's not too much to ask, could you voice your recommendations and/or experiences with the IO-540?

Sorry to bother you all, and thank you!

Shop around as best you can. I did. I ended up with a Van's show special IO-540. If you want a new engine, I have never found a better deal than the Van's show special. It was several thousand dollars cheaper than any of the other options.

Carl

Shop around as best you can. I did. I ended up with a Van's show special IO-540. If you want a new engine, I have never found a better deal than the Van's show special. It was several thousand dollars cheaper than any of the other options.

Carl

Hi Carl!

Knowing the discounts that Oshkosh tends to provide, that would make a great deal of sense. Thanks for letting me know!

Carl

I would second this... and also add that propellers fall in the same category. but read the fine print, you need to have purchased all of the airframe kits from Vans to take advantage of this. Not sure how strict they are on this fine print, but if you picked up a project RV-10 somewhere along the line you might not be able to take advantage of this in the same way had you purchased all kits direct from Vans.

The other Vendors can offer a plethora of customization, that you cant get from a lycoming factory engine such as, Pmags, EFII, port, polished, balanced, Gami injectors, break in, Dyno, high compression, etc. If you want any of these things out of the gates, perhaps you are better buying the engine with them in the first place. I haven't noticed any resale difference either way.

I would second this... and also add that propellers fall in the same category. but read the fine print, you need to have purchased all of the airframe kits from Vans to take advantage of this. Not sure how strict they are on this fine print, but if you picked up a project RV-10 somewhere along the line you might not be able to take advantage of this in the same way had you purchased all kits direct from Vans.

The other Vendors can offer a plethora of customization, that you cant get from a lycoming factory engine such as, Pmags, EFII, port, polished, balanced, Gami injectors, break in, Dyno, high compression, etc. If you want any of these things out of the gates, perhaps you are better buying the engine with them in the first place. I haven't noticed any resale difference either way.

I have not read the "fine print" but I will do so when I have the time. Maybe over the holdays.

I haven't but any reaserch into that stuff yet either, but I have seen EFII floating around. From what little I actually understand about it, I think it's basically EFI for an IO-540? Also, what specific vendors would you recommend I take a look at?

Thanks a ton!

Try here: http://www.aerosportpower.com and here: http://continentalmotors.aero/titan/experimental-kit-engines.aspx

I believe the fine print is only on the flyer that is issued each year on the oshkosh special flyer, but you can call Vans for the details.

The Aerosport Power certainly looks more apealing due to the EFI system that you can get on it, but that's only my opinion and I don't know anything about it anyway, but thank you for the links!

I'll make sure to call Vans when I have the chance!