s10sakota

Well Known Member
I start thinking of paint schemes long before I even buy a kit. For my first two airplanes I built, I had 100's of scheme ideas drawn before the kit even arrived.

If I'm building an airplane, maybe it's just me, but I need to know what it's going to look like when it's done. I'm not just building AN airplane, I'm building THIS one. Know what I mean? Knowing what it's going to look like sort of gives me an end goal.

So of course I have 100's of schemes drawn for my RV-7. The one I like most is the retro USAF Thunderbirds scheme that I've posted here previously.

Most people draw paint schemes when they are deciding on the perfect one, but did you ever want to see what it would look like out on the ramp? It's neat to see it drawn on paper, but seeing it on the ramp really let's you know what it's going to look like in it's 'environment'.

I figured out how to do this with my t-bird scheme. This just helps me visualize it to see if this is indeed the scheme I want to go with.

So here's two pics of my plane out on the ramp in the real world...well, virtual world...

So now I just pretend I'm standing out on the ramp looking at my future plane!

Since I started my -7 I have been tearing out pictures of planes with pant jobs I like and saving them. I have a pretty good selection now. It might come down to how much I am willing to spend on the paint in the end.