Gsuit

Well Known Member
I searched the archives for this one - to no avail (which makes me feel even more alone :confused: ) But, I'm finished with the "Van's" portion of the kit, as far as the metal airplane parts, and can't decide what to tackle next. It seems no matter how I go, I'll need to have something done before something else - but then that gets in the way of this...

I have my engine and my avionics. So, which should I do first? Plumb the engine and all the firewall penetrations, or go get all the stuff for wiring and do all the electrical stuff? If I do them simultaneously, what is a logical progression back and forth?

Also, the engine is at Superior (they're holding it until the sump thing is worked out or until I call for it.) The warranty isn't ticking until they give it to me - is that something I should factor into the equation?

I like to install the things that cannot be moved first. Engine, prop and radio trays. Then exhaust, plumbing, control cables, then the wire. Some times control cables and hose will be routed at the same time as they are in a similar area. I used a cut up section of OLD air hose to help lay out some of the hoses runs. It may appear that making mock ups take time but it saves money by not using the expensive parts till you know where it is going to go.

The stuff that does not bend goes in first. Then the stuff that only bends a little with the stuff that bends the easiest last.

Everything interferes with everything else so my logic is to save the stuff that is easiest to move around for last.

Yes many of the things can be done in parallel if you are aware what are the other items that will interfer with it.

Hope this comes accross so that you understand it.

I remember this stage

There is a bit of chicken and egg, it really can't be avoided but there enough builers sites out there that will give you the general idea..Dan Checkoway's for example.

I was about to install the engine first when Dan suggested it was better to do the avionics first.

On the one hand the engine is big and imovable but there are basically only three things that basically go between the cabin and the engine..amely the control cables.

Assuming you are going to ut these in the standard place then it is very easy to plane for them, and there reaaly isn't anything your likely to put in the way in any case.

So I would do it the same way again, i.e all the wiring and avionics...And I would leave the gear off as this will provide max ergonomic access for the many hours of wiring. You would also leave off the engine mount and all of this gives easy access from both sides and the front. just leave long tails for the engine sensors that you cut to length after you hang the engine.

Not saying this is the only way (in fact my CFI who is also building a 7a is glad to have hi up on its gear). But that is the way I would do it again

All the best

Frank 7a