Auburntsts

Well Known Member
I'm thinking about taking the Chicago VFR flyway up the east side this year to Osh coming from the East (Virginia). I've taken an initial look at the Chicago TAC and the flyway diagram on the back.

Any tips or suggestions beyond keeping your head on a swivel and watch the altitude restrictions, etc?

I'm thinking about taking the Chicago VFR flyway up the east side this year to Osh coming from the East (Virginia). I've taken an initial look at the Chicago TAC and the flyway diagram on the back.

Any tips or suggestions beyond keeping your head on a swivel and watch the altitude restrictions, etc?

That's what I did the time I took the route. The challenge I found was the number of smaller towered airports I had to talk to or avoid to transit between the lake and Ripon.

It's one of the easier cities to fly by - Stay under ORD's class B and out of Gary's class D. Seems every year when I run up Lake MI towards Oshkosh, I hear the Gary tower always comment about people busting their airspace.

DSCN4270.JPG

Enjoy!

Like others have said, it's pretty straight forward.

If Midway and Ohare are landing to the SW, expect to see a conga line of large aircraft that will be a lot lower than you would think crossing the shoreline. This is why the altitude restriction is slow low between the power plant and the Navy pier.

I tend to stay off shore a bit to get out of the way of the folks that like to fly as close to the shoreline as possible.

Is there any reason not to head Northwest at VFR waypoint VPFTS (northeast of of Chicago Exec) vice continuing up the coast until north of Waukegan before turning Northwest?

28096568231_84d65d1611_b.jpg

Thats about what I do but from VPFTS, go direct to GREAS before turning to RIPON. This keeps you well away from Waukesha.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the NOTOM for this year yet but will in the next week or so. Any changes may affect my flight plan.

Route

Beware the TFR's. Current one for Cubs game is 3000 agl which conflicts with the bottom of the Bravo in that area. So the only option is to go around the TFR which puts you about 3 miles out over the lake. As far as Gary airspace, there is plenty of room to go over the top of Gary and then descend below the Bravo.

I do the lakefront fairly often. I usually cut inland once past PWK. KBUU us a great fuel stop on the way.

I'm usually about 1 mile offshore, with some leeway below the Class 'B' airspace above.