N546RV

Well Known Member
OK, so I bungled up a rivet big time while putting my left elevator together. The hole is now oversize and a bit elongated; I'm trying to figure out the best way to repair and move on.

My first thought was to go up to a -5 solid rivet, but considering that the somewhat tight location had already contributed to the current situation, I'm thinking I'm likely to have the same difficulties, or worse, trying to set a -5 in there. (location is the two holes between the counterweight rib flange and spar web)

Hence why I'm leaning towards putting a Cherrymax rivet in here instead. My understanding is that, properly set, a Cherrymax is a perfectly acceptable substitute for a solid rivet...sound about right?

Next question: Am I likely to need more of these things as the build progresses? I'm trying to decide between making a run to Spruce on Saturday (two-hour round trip) or just trying to scrounge a handful from the local builder population or something. Maybe I could go to the 690 breakfast Saturday morning and carry around a "will work for CR3213-5-2 blind rivets) sign...but if it's worth it to stock up, I'll go ahead and spring for a supply from Spruce. (I'd like to think I won't be needing a lot of -5 rivets in the future, but I dunno...)

Finally...Cherrymax rivets can be set with a regular old blind rivet gun, right? So long as I'm careful?

CherryMAX rivets are perfectly acceptable replacements for solid rivets abiet a bit heavier. I always keep a small supply on hand as replacements as they are usually quicker and easier to install in some cases than re-bucking. You can us a good quality rivet puller on cherry rivets. It doesn't pay to buy a cheapy as you will find this a very useful tool.

You should be fine however although you will probably need a few in the future I don't think it's likely they will be -5. Also make sure your using the right grip length.

They do make a -4 oversized cherry max rivet. Check the hole and you may not need to upgrade to a 5 and get away with an oversized 4.

They do make a -4 oversized cherry max rivet. Check the hole and you may not need to upgrade to a 5 and get away with an oversized 4.

Yeah, I noticed that while browsing the Spruce site last night. I did run out to the garage (in short and a t-shirt, brr!) to take another look, but I'd clecoed the skin onto the skeleton so I could work on my trim tab after the elevator foul-up, so I couldn't measure it without taking the skin off...and I might have frozen to death by then. Plus it was after 1 AM and I do have this pesky day job to deal with...

:rolleyes:

I think after work today I'll pull the skin off and check the hole; if it will accept an oversize -4, I'll make the trip to Spruce to buy a few different sizes in quantity. If it needs a -5, I'll see about scrounging a few.

In any case, I think I'll start by hitting up my old flight instructor, a reformed -7 builder...not quite sure what stuff he may still have lying around. He's already giving me his old wing stand.

:)

I will just second the reminder to check the grip length, there is a chart on the cherrymax website. The sizes are NOT necessarily the same as you would use in a solid rivet.

I have certainly used a few in areas that I felt more attempts to set a tough rivet could do more harm than good.

Chris

I will just second the reminder to check the grip length, there is a chart on the cherrymax website. The sizes are NOT necessarily the same as you would use in a solid rivet.

I have certainly used a few in areas that I felt more attempts to set a tough rivet could do more harm than good.

Chris

Yeah, I noticed that while I was poking around last night. I was figuring that if I did a solid rivet replacement, I'd need a 470AD5-5 in place of the original 4-4. I guess I've gotten so used to solid rivet nomenclature that I wasn't expecting the proper Cherry rivet length to be -2. Luckily Spruce lists the grip length ranges, which I checked against the official Cherry literature as well.

My friend says he might have what I need...problem is he's in Pittsburgh right now. The life of a pro pilot...maybe he'll be home tonight and can look for me. If not, I guess I'm going ro Spruce tomorrow. Hopefully I can get away with the oversize -4.

Philip-
I'll be at the breakfast in the AM. I have any size rivet you can imagine & the tools to set you up properly. Bring your elevator and after the grub swing by. I'm about 3 miles from LZU. I'll PM you My number

Philip,
Good luck with that cherrymax. I have to tell you I am both jealous of you for living so close to Aircraft Spruce and glad I don't live close to them. It would be nice to be able to go and just look around at all the things they have, but I would end up broke and have no time to build!

Philip,
Good luck with that cherrymax. I have to tell you I am both jealous of you for living so close to Aircraft Spruce and glad I don't live close to them. It would be nice to be able to go and just look around at all the things they have, but I would end up broke and have no time to build!

Heh, I kind of wish I lived closer to be honest. Even living here, I generally get stuff shipped from them unless I either want it right now or I'm already headed to Peachtree City for some other reason. USPS is $5 for small stuff, and I'll spend more than that in gas driving down there.

Still, it's nice that I basically always get stuff the next day after it ships.

Side note: I had just ordered some hardware from Spruce. It came in yesterday, the same day[/s] that I went on to need yet more hardware to fix a problem. Why does it always seem to happen this way?

;)

The closest town to me is Grand Junction, 110 miles. Then there is Denver, about 3 hours over 2- 10,500' passes. Pretty drives, but I sort of feel stuck in the middle of nowhere when I need anything. We have a Lowes and a Target - thats about it! Well there are stores where there are levis on sale at $200!