Captain Avgas

Well Known Member
Dan Checkoway reckons he might soon have the record for the most number of hours in an RV7.....but I reckon he might have already broken the record for the number of postings to VansAirforce.

I was hunting backwards through his VansAirforce emails to try to find the excellent report he made on power settings and miles per gallon outcomes early last year. Unfortunately the VansAirforce personal email archives only seem to go back for 500 postings. In Dan's case that was only back to June 19, 2006.

In other words Dan Checkoway has made 500 postings in only 8 months, or an average of 62 postings per month !!! And that's ONLY to VansAirforce. He's also a significant contributor to many other forums.

And may I add that Dan Checkoway is not just about quantity....no, no,no....far from it.......his emails are generally very well informed and consistently temperate. He has been a tireless contributor to the RV community knowledge bank.

And now Dan.....where can I find that info on your power/mpg research.

......And my airplane's baffling would look horrible if it wasn't for Dan's outstanding web site!! A huge asset to builders that want to see how "someone else did it (right)"....

Paul

a big surprise

I spent a lot of time surfing the internet and I finally reached the end! It was a picture of Dan. Thanks for your great advice (except for the really expensive engine option).

Andrew Phillips
7A QB Doing everything at the same time

My head is too big already...

http://www.rvproject.com/20060419.html

That link has some "economy messing around" that I did last year. I still gotta find some time to test out the smaller AFP restrictors I got from from Don to see if I can eek out a little more.

I guess I'll go search his site to see if he logged more hours or how many hours he logged the First year.

I logged 262 hr. in one year and 22 passengers. IIRC the First year.

I guess the heavy hitters would be around 350hrs a year.

Or, I could ask him in a few hours when I go flying with him.

Year 1 = 420 hours
Year 2 = 420 hours
Year 3 = 370 today with a month left (Mar 27), prob ~400

BTW, Rivet, c'mon over any time. Wingnut played hookie today and he's here. Debris might show up as well. I just fueled at AJO and I'm at the hangar now working, but I'll be wheels up around 3:30.

I think Mike Seager wins the most hours award!

Mike Seager logs over 800 hours per year in RV's. I can't remember how many hours he says he has logged but it was in the 3000+ range (maybe even more.

More than that

ScottSchmidt said:
Mike Seager logs over 800 hours per year in RV's. I can't remember how many hours he says he has logged but it was in the 3000+ range (maybe even more.

When I flew with Mike in Aug 05, Mike said he had over 9000 hours of RV time with nearly 7000 hours of dual given!!!!!

I don't see anyone coming close to that for a looooong time.

RV7Guy said:
When I flew with Mike in Aug 05, Mike said he had over 9000 hours of RV time with nearly 7000 hours of dual given!!!!!

I don't see anyone coming close to that for a looooong time.

We're talking here specifically about RV7 hours.

Mike Seager does virtually all of his side by side transition training in a 6. He probably doesn't have huge time in a 7.

RV-7 hours

Mike uses two planes for most of his transition training. He has the old RV-6A and a newer RV-7. Occasionally he uses the factory RV-9A or one of the RV10s. The RV-7 has over 2000 hours on it, all put on by Mike.

Bruce Reynolds
Rv-6A

Bruce Reynolds said:
Mike uses two planes for most of his transition training. He has the old RV-6A and a newer RV-7. Occasionally he uses the factory RV-9A or one of the RV10s. The RV-7 has over 2000 hours on it, all put on by Mike.
Thanks Bruce. Sounds like the factory planes will continue to demonstrate max representative fleet time. This is good!

Correction

We just checked the records and the RV-7 transition plane has 1153 Hours as of 1-15-07. The 2000 hours came from the engine hours, not the airframe.

Sorry for posting bogus information.

Bruce
Rv-6A

Dan hits the front

Bruce Reynolds said:
We just checked the records and the RV-7 transition plane has 1153 Hours as of 1-15-07. The 2000 hours came from the engine hours, not the airframe.

Sorry for posting bogus information.

Bruce
Rv-6A

It's official....after sitting on the rails in second position Dan has pulled out and hit the front (1210 RV7 hours to the factory RV7As 1153 hours). In terms of RV7 pilot hours flown, Dan's probably even further in front because undoubtedly Mike Seager has not flown all of those 1153 factory hours.

Furthermore Dan's pulling away and increasing his lead by an average of 7 hours a month. :p

The only thing that could cause him to stumble and fall is ......gulp......dare I say it....a protracted paint job. :)

Dan's in the Lead

I was looking at some posts on Dan's website and found a comment he made early on.

Quote from RVProject.com
I snuck these HS spacers into the primer batch and deburred the HS and tailcone while they dried. Here they've been put back into position, and I torqued the HS bolts. I figure the HS will come off for painting, and more than likely once before then as well, but I may as well torque these suckers as if they're going on for good...it's entirely possible that the HS will stay on from now through phase one (test flights), considering I'll probably paint this thing after the test period. We'll see.

and the rest is history. :D