Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Checklists - there can be little doubt that operating an aircraft is safer if you use them. I live my whole life with checklists - we write procedures, test procedures, edit procedures, approve procedures - in the space business, we don't even answer the PHONE without a checklist! The paper procedures for an average Space Shuttle mission takes up about 5 feet of bookshelf space - that's a lot of paper! Back when the Shuttle was designed, paper was the only way to do it. But when the Space Station came along, new technologies presented themselves, and the fact that procedures change quite often on a new and experimental vehicle (that is constantly changing) and the difficulty of bringing more paper copies to Orbit prompted us to develop electronic checklist - procedures that live in the computer system and can be changed by uplinking new files from the ground. In actuality, they are nothing more than Word, HTML, and PDF documents, many with hyperlinks to make navigating the many nested and interconnected tasks easier - but it does cut down on the paper!

Similarly, in the aviation world, checklists have been evolving, At their simplest, they can be just a few lines on a placard attached to the instrument panel showing the things to check for Take-off and Landing. More complexity gives us cue cards, flip-books, or manuals with many steps and multiple procedures for different phases of flight - including emergencies. More recently, as Glass Cockpits have appeared, we have seen electronic versions of these textual documents showing up in cockpits. Again, the simple approach is to have a simple electronic display of what would be on paper. A more sophisticated approach is to have one which not only gives you things to check, but can display actual data from aircraft sensors (it says "Oil Pressure - check between 40 - 80", and then displays the actual pressure). The ultimate electronic checklist would be like you see in more sophisticated aircraft - "Intelligent" checklists that sense many parameters and conditions, and display only those things that are not yet in configuration for the phase of flight you are in. An example would be a Take-off checklist that would say "Canopy - close and latch" until the canopy is indeed closed and latched - and then disappears when the task is complete. A blank page means you are ready to go!

I must admit to being just a bit of a Luddite when it comes to electronic checklists. I am not a big fan of the simple electronic presentation of a textual checklist, although I know many people that like this. In the Valkyrie, I have ring-bound laminated checklists that I develop on a word processor, and update maybe once a year as I change my mind on things. I like this method because I am used to using paper, and can hold the cards in one hand with my thumb on the step I am performing so I don?t' lose my place. If I am using the same basic checklist on a display, I have to hold my finger on the screen, or I get lost, and continuously have to find my place - for me, it is easy to miss a step this way. More intelligent Electronic Checklists are easier for me - if all I have to do is make the screen go blank, then it frequently doesn't matter if I get lost - once I've done everything, I'm good to go.

The other problem I have with electronic checklists on the EFIS is that I like to set all my screens up for flight, and if I have to use one of them for the checklist, then I can't do this on that screen until the very end. Louise has gotten used to this in her airplane, and has a checklist and a way of displaying the data that makes this less of an issue, so I am sure that it is doable. Now I haven't thought about the 396?.does it have checklist capability? That would be a screen that isn't doing anything until after take-off - but then I'd still have to sacrifice whatever I am looking for in flight if I needed a list. I have watched a few people using electronic checklists, and while most use them before take-off, I notice that they do the descent and landing checklists from memory because they don't want to give up the screen real estate.

Of course, if you have one of those "jumbo-tron" displays that has plenty of real estate, this isn't much of a problem?.;)

I'd welcome some discussion on the topic - such discussion can help the designers of EFIS's (many of whom read these forums) build the next generation of software. I know that folks are working on it - the Vertical Power systems a sort of headed in this direction, making the system a "virtual Co-pilot" to help configure the aircraft. Building a checklist that is interactive in the sense that it only shows you the things that still need to be done for a flight phase will require more sensors, and more integration with the airframe - which means more complexity, and that is not always desirable in what are, at their heart, simple aircraft. Complexity for complexities sake is not good design in my book. But I simply am not a big fan of the "text checklist on a screen", just to get rid of paper. We just don't have enough screen real estate in the planes we fly to make that work the way we do on the Space Station - or in Mission Control. In fact, I usually have 5 or 6 books open at one time when I am working a typical Space Shuttle operation, and I simply don't have enough screen space to do that electronically.

Maybe I'll build my checklists an put them on my Sony Reader (the device I use to view Approach Plates). For a "Paper Luddite" like me, that might be a dip of the old toe in the water?..

Paul

I have tried both, but I find paper check list within easy reach just simpler and easier to read. Plus I can hold my thumb next to the one I'm completing so I don't have to re-read them again. Try putting your thumb on the EFIS screen. Gets pretty ugly after a few flights with lots of finger prints.

Last edited:
I like electric at work

Paul,
We use an electronic checklist at work(Falcon 2000 with Collins ProLine 4) , but we have plenty of places to put an echecklist without compromising needed displays. They are completely programable and very user friendly with a button next to the copilot's left hand.

The nice thing about our echecklist is it allows you to toggle through each line or skip if necessary. It turns the line text to green when it's accompished. This architecture really comes in handy when you are running a checklist on taxi out and you get a radio call. Then you can return right where you left off.

I agree that next generation checklist should show actual status so that the checklist is more integrated into the systems, etc. How cool would it be if you couldn't complete a Before Takeoff Checklist because the canopy closed sensor wasn't satisfied and therefore wouldn't allow that line to be accomplished to complete the checklist. I have heard that the latest Airbuses and Boeings have some cool checklist functionality like displaying emergency checklist with certain annuciators or messages, i.e. LEFT ENG FIRE WARNING the MFD automatically displays the appropriate checklist - too cool!

Another expansion on the echecklist would be to have hyperlinks within the checklist that you can look at systems diagrams and/or descriptions.

I hope the avionics guys are listening.

Use EFIS checklist

We use the checklist feature on our GRT for engine startup, we have one for a cold start and another one for hot start that we use for every startup, and they work great. I like the fact that the checklist can display the current state of the item, say oil pressure or rpm or whatever. I have never been a good checklist pilot until the RV7a and the GRTs. In addition to the startup checklists, we have added IFR checklist to the GRTs also. These are too ensure we can setup the GRT and TruTrak to do a coupled approach when and if we need to.

So for the first time in 30 years of flying, I am using checklists because they are easy to use on the GRT screens. Maybe that is because I am a little older ( and wiser? ), I don't know, I just know we are using checklists again.

Smart CIGARS?

I wont argue that checklists make operations safer, but in a relatively simple machine, do paper lists make you safer? I just dont know. I have heard that the act of reading an item can trick our funny brain into thinking we actually did the action. This is especially true for repetetive actions.
I have paper checklists, but primarily I recite the checklist, CIGARS, that many of us where taught, followed by a physical action then visual verification or some derivative of that. I have found this to be quick and effecient for pre-take off. Paper checklists keep my head in the cockpit instead of looking around, so I dont use them for climb out and when you get close to an airport for landing, again, I want my head out of the airplane.
I also laid my panel out to make a logical scan into a sort of visual check list.
I have a relatively simple machine. The worst case scenario for me is I leave my Boost Pump on longer than necessary, or lean a little later than need be, leave my prop out or mixture lean, or forget boost pump on landing, all easily fixed on go around IF you train yourself to check regardless. Never assume and always check based on your current situation. I usually catch all these items in my Cruise Scan, or Prelanding Scan.
That said, I think the concept of a Electronic Check Lists that warn you or confirm an action would be a great path to take. I know on my EDM-930 it was very easy to incorporate into a regular scan, showing all conditions and limits, and I use it like a built in Check List, RPM, MP, OT, OP, FP, V, A, EGT, CHT, FF, FL, all right there in an easy to read and laid out fasion. Add Flap Position, Canopy Closed, and some of the other features I have seen on other systems, and there you have it, a pictoral checklist that flows.
With the proper instrumentation and a well laid out panel to show you this information we could keep our heads up and make check lists part of a normal scan of the panel.
I think this concept would work even better in an emergency where trying to read a check list on a piece of paper in a panic might not be realistic. If our instruments warned of us conditions and prompted us with actions or sequence of actions it might save our life.
Not sure how this would work with more complex machines like Space Shuttles ;)
Great topics as always Paul.

Two More Thoughts....

As soon as I start reading good responses, I get reminded of things that I wanted to write in the first place, but forgot.....

In a sense, a good EFIS/EIS that has limit-sensing and alarms is sort of doing the interactive checklist for you already. Nothing in alarm? Then you are good to go! This is, of course, only good for the stuff that is monitored, but the big items on our simple airplanes usually are - Oil Pressure, volts, etc. When I do a run-up, I rarely look for actual numbers - I glance to make sure everything is in the green, and I have no alarms - and the systems are good to go! Doesn't, of course,e tell us if the canopy is latched....but it could!

Another good point raised above is that for the standard SEL-type items, those things covered by CIGAR and GUMP mnemonics, good cockpit design can really make reading an actual checklist more difficult than just "sweeping the cockpit". I laid my controls and switches out so that I always sweep the cockpit left to right for my major checklists - Pre-start, Start, Take-off, Landing, Post-landing, etc. To be completely honest, I rarely pull the post-landing card out, because it is purely a left-to-right switch configuration. This of course means that you have to be thinking checklist and operations at the same time that you are designing your panel - which is the job of a good Operations Engineer.....we have to be involved in the design phase, or we end up with a befuddling mess....

Paul

Some other toughts

I've been flying airliners for 20 years. First fifteen years on Boeings and now for five years on the Airbus family (A340 and A330).
On the Boeings, all check-lists were on paper.
On the Airbus, at least they way we use them, the normal check-lists are very short (killer items only) and on paper and most of the non-normal check-list are on screen.
Those non normal check-list appear and disappear according to system malfunctions and status.

The system always takes into account the real status of the aircraft. That means that if the system is already in the correct configuration requested by the check-list, the action will not no be displayed.
For example : If you have an engine flame-out, the electronic check-list will take you through the steps required and will adapt to the real configuration of the aircraft. If the APU is already started, this step will not be displayed as it is not required.

To be able to have this type of system there is a lot of work ahead of the real programming, as there is in laying out the systems in the aircraft.

For example, real estate is limited on the screens so you have to set priorities to what is displayed. In my example above, the flame-out check-list can be superseded by the engine fire check-list at any moment. The flame-out check-list would just be pushed out of view.
So you have to set the priority of each item you want to display so as not to miss and important information. Color codes are used (red and amber), but even within the same color you have to set the priorities. Is engine flame-out more of less important than a hydraulic leak?

This problems, make also the paper documentation (it can be on computer) more complicated as the flow on paper contains a lot of IFs and IF NOT.

Another problem, is that there are no sensors for a lot of things in an aircraft : smoke, fumes, jammed controls,EFIS failures...

With a system always showing the real status of the aircraft, you also have to think about how you display this status. What should be shown in each situation. It's a bit the same problem as with annunciator lights. What systems are ON or OFF in normal situation? What is normal situation? (Pump ON or OFF, Lights ON or OFF....)

The biggest problem I had initially with this system was that the actions required kept changing while dealing with the check-list as the system is constantly adapting to what it is sensing. I remember one of my first simulator session dealing with abnormal check-lists. After having secured the situation, I had to give myself a mental push to think about the problem we had just dealt with as the screens in front of us looked pretty "normal".

I think getting that type of technology to our small one engine planes would be quite complicated. Even getting an automatic normal check-list without user input would require some thinking as you would have to define when a check-list has to be completed. This means you would have to be able to define in what phase of flight you are (Before start is easy, but what about approach or before take off : what sensors will define this).

I know all this might be a bit far out for RV flying and sorry for being that long.

I like paper

I've used both and just like the paper checklists better. I guess I'm old fashioned. Or maybe just old.:)

E-lists for me

I remember the time I realized the importance of checklists. I stopped by the home of my flight instructor, and as we left, he stopped at the door and read his "going to the airport" checklist. How silly! Then, a few weeks later, I made the trip to the airport without the keys to the airplane! There are times and places that an "on screen" checklist just doesn't cut it.

That being said, with the completion of the 9A, I went to all-electronic checklist for all in-cabin checks. I like 'em. I feel it cuts cabin clutter, and I have yet to not be able to reach or find a checklist when I needed it. Having all the information in one convenient location is important to me also. I can find tire pressures without digging out the POH and also such oft-forgotten info as light signals (not that I have EVER needed them!) quickly. Very handy.

I also re-learned the importance of using them every time. An aborted take off because of an unlatched canopy made that clear again. Trying to fit into a very busy pattern shouldn't have made me skip that check, but it did.

This thread has made me realize I haven't practiced finding some of the emergency checklists in a while. That will be done on my next flight. Thanks for the reminder, Paul.

Bob Kelly

This thread has made me realize I haven't practiced finding some of the emergency checklists in a while. That will be done on my next flight. Thanks for the reminder, Paul.

Bob Kelly

On that note...

We have (paper) checklists for nearly everything in the KC-10. Some are used every flight, some we hope to never use in the airplane ("Loss Of All Engines", anyone???). But we do use them - every crewmember has to do a quarterly simulator refresher, with heavy emphasis on abnormal & emergency procedures.

I recently experienced my first no-kidding aerial refueling abnormal in the KC-10. I had just "seen" this abnormal during my quarterly refresher a month before, so it was basically a non-event.

So, for the bottom line from this non-pilot (yet!) RV-guy wanna-be:
Whatever checklist method you go with, USE IT REGULARLY! A checklist you haven't looked at since you created it isn't much help, and could make a time-critical situation even worse.

How about "both"! No matter how you make your checklists available electrionically, have paper backups, know where they are, and use them. Make them as similar to the screen presentation of the electronic version. This way, when it hits the fan and the pretty screens are blank, you have checklists that look exactly the same...

As for whether using the checklist makes you safer, there is evidence to suggest that we occasionally read items on checklists but don't actually think about that item, e.g., engine anti-ice systems on Air Florida 90. However, I'm thinking that simple, easy-to-use checklists are better than none.

TODR

Some paper required

I always use my thumb on a paper checklist as I walk around the airplane. Until a wireless link exist, I can't see replacing my paper preflight with a full electronic version.
What would be cool is if the EFIS guys had a wireless connection to a tablet computer.The more I look at the wireless tablet solutions the better I like them. Hand it off to the co-pilot, lay it on the seat beside you, etc. It would be a great way to tie the EFIS alarms to a secondary checklist display without changing your primary flight display. I do not want to be flying the EFIS, looking for a config page or checklist when something abnormal is afoot. A dedicated wireless tablet would allow checklist and procedures to be accessed without altering the primary flight display.

Even then emergency procedures would remain on paper for me. It's the only solution that doesn't require batteries and works every time you pick it up!

I've used both and just like the paper checklists better. I guess I'm old fashioned. Or maybe just old.:)

I am both. :)

The Dynon D10 has a checklist feature, I use it. Before that it was paper. Either way, it is mandatory - keeps me out of trouble as much as possible.

More Electronic Checklists

They each have their advantages and disadvantages, but in my experience the electronic checklists on many certified and experimental EFIS systems are not very practical to use. The problems IMO are that they are cumbersome to bring up, they block out most of the other instruments, and in general it is just easier to pull out the paper checklist. So when we designed the Vertical Power system, one goal was to fix that so that electronic checklists would be better than paper checklists.

First, a quick overview of how the Vertical Power VP-200 works to give you some context. It uses engine data and GPS data (already available on most modern panels, just two more wires to get the data across) to automatically switch between 11 modes of flight ? pre-flight, before-start, start, after-start, taxi, run-up, takeoff, cruise, maneuver, landing, and post-flight. Of course you can manually cycle through them if you want. For each mode, you can specify several things: what electrical devices are on, what checklists appear, what engine gauges are shown in large display, and verify the correct configuration of something (like a door switch). The position of the mag switch is also monitored (and built-in so no additional wiring).

So, for the checklist part? when you do your run-up it switches to run-up mode and then the run up checklist appears automatically. If you taxi, the taxi checklist appears. When you shut down, the post-flight checklist appears. No pressing any buttons. For each mode, you can create a checklist or turn that feature off. For example, I don?t have the landing checklist enabled as that is a memorized item. But if you want one, just configure it that way. And it does not block the engine instruments, only the electrical diagram. Here?s a mockup of a run-up checklist (don?t have any shots from the plane)

chklst.jpg

Same goes for emergencies? when you press the red emergency button and select the emergency, it brings up that checklist right away, as well as a few other things depending on the type of emergency.

Configuration is another big safety feature. For each mode, you can specify (note: feature not implemented yet but in the upcoming plan) how the flaps, trim, annunciators, mag switch should be configured. So as you taxi, you?ll get an alarm if the trim is improperly set or the door is ajar. However, the door alarm is not active in pre-flight mode, for example.

And since trim and flap position sensors and door or canopy switches are already wired, it does not add any more complexity. What adds complexity is lots of independent systems not talking to each other. Integrated systems offer more features and safety with LESS complexity and wiring.

You can see how these checklists work in the video here: http://www.verticalpower.com/gallery.html