SMRacer

Well Known Member
Patron
I just finished a major modification of a purchased flying RV8. I replaced the entire instrument panel with a AFS Quick Panel that included installation of autopilot servos, all new engine sensors, all interior/exterior lighting, removal of the vacuum system, and other minor mods.
I am not the builder. So my question is: Those of you who built your airplane, did you put a certain amount of time on the aircraft before you opened things back up and inspected all the major systems to make sure that everything was still as installed and operating as expected.
My RV8 modifications are apparently working well. But should I just continue to fly or tear things apart and inspect?

Thanks,

My RV8 modifications are apparently working well. But should I just continue to fly or tear things apart and inspect?

Since modifications were made that include flight controls (autopilot servos), if it were mine I would be tempted to open up the inspection panels required to make a visual inspection of anything that was touched, added, or changed on the flight controls. Then if all was well, return to service until the next annual condition inspection.

Any engine sensors pertaining to fluids would get another inspection for leaks now and at every oil change at least.

I wouldn't feel a need to touch anything related to the instrument panel or lighting.

Last edited: